Lake Dillon Forecast/Forecasting help

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Zackbones
Rare Poster
Gear: Frenzy 7, Summit 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Lake Dillon Forecast/Forecasting help

Postby Zackbones » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:29 am

I'm new to kiting and come from a paragliding and speed flying background. Figuring out the forecast and deciding whether or not to spend the day driving to a venue seems like one of the hardest parts of snow kiting. I thought I saw a perfect forecast for lake Dillon last week and drove the 1.5 hours up there only to have it be too calm. Standard procedure I know but I'm trying to learn THE CHASE. I go off of NOAA's hourly forecast and I've been using windyty.com as well. I'm wondering what others use and if using windyty.com what model is most reliable. I'm trying to decide if I should try Lake Dillon tomorrow. The rest of the week looks stormy. NOAA makes it look good but windyty.com makes it look gusty. Low winds aloft tomorrow-could be good speedriding closer to home. First world spoiled mountain person problems but any advice or knowledge would be appreciated! Cheers, Zack

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Re: Lake Dillon Forecast/Forecasting help

Postby kitejumping » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:57 am

If it is west wind it will probably be gusty and bad for learning, that's how it was today. Smoothest days on the lake are north winds riding at the south side. If you're on facebook there is a summit county kiters group which sometimes has conditions updates.

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lake Dillon Forecast/Forecasting help

Postby mbevo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:38 am

yea the 3 times i kited there twice i got skunked and once the wind went from 0-30mph you can see the huge gusts coming down from the mountains. it was awesome when the gust hits but the overpowered fun only lasts like 30s-1min and then the kite backstalls and drops

Return to “Snow / Land”