Forum for snow- and landkiters
scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Utah snowkite kite sizes

Postby scklandl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 pm

I am so lucky that I get to spend a month in Salt Lake City, Feb 15-March 18. We got Epic Passes so I see my self at Canyons (PC) a lot.

We only have so much space so I am looking for the recommendations for the best two kites to bring 12m or less for the best snowkiting conditions at Strawberry or Skyline.
I don't need to kite every day there is wind, just the sweetest.

Also, If anyone else is in the area during the same time and is also visiting/ new to the area and wants a ride buddy PM me, I will be solo mid-week and would love to connect with some solid riders and catch some tracks.

Scott Klandl

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Utah snowkite kite sizes

Postby fernmanus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:17 pm

Scott,

Coming to Utah with only a kite smaller than a 12 is like going to Maui with only kites larger than a 12, you limit your riding.

I kite at Skyline and Strawberry frequently. Ten percent of the time, the wind is so light that only a big foil will work. Seventy percent of the time riders are making it work with a 13 to 17m LEI. 15 percent of the time riders are using 9 to 12m kites and the remaining 5%, kites smaller than a 9.

The wind is typically light here in the mountains. So, you should get some rides with a 12, but you will not be able to ride as frequently with a kite that size.

The big caveat is the snow. We have been getting a lot of snow this year and deep snow requires more power. If the snow train ends (heaven forbid) and we have hardpack, you could get in a lot of riding on a 12.

Buy a big kite and it will nuke, bring your small kites and we will have deep snow and light wind. :rollgrin:

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:56 am

Hey Scklandl I'm a western CO kiter who is planning a pilgrimage to Skyline/Strawberry this month. I have almost no experience beyond my back yard The Grand Mesa western Co. I would definitely like to buddy up with some one and was going to post a similar thread my self, trying to nail down pertinent information on the area, camping, conditions etc. etc.

Please fill free to message me. Maybe we could get together. I do have a fairly large quiver. Maybe I could loan you a kite in certain conditions.

Anthony :)

MajnoLo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sudbury
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, First Encounter, Pleasure Bay, Nahant, Revere, Vineyard Sound
Gear: Water stuff: CrazyFly board, 8m Switchblade, 9M Naish Park, 11m Switchblade, 12m Omega, 14m Rally, 15m Turbine
Been thanked: 0

Postby MajnoLo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello out there
I am headed to SLC March 24 and would really love to try snowkiting. I have 11, 12, 14 and 15m kites. Was thinking of bringing the 15m Turbine with me along with my skis. Issue is that I am a very good skier, decent kiter, but never snowkited. Do I need a lesson? Will my 174cm GS skis be OK? Will it be OK to "just do it" with instruction from the locals? Would love to talk to someone who goes to Skyline... Thanks! Need to buy plane tickets! Lorenzo

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:18 pm

MajnoLo wrote:Hello out there
I am headed to SLC March 24 and would really love to try snowkiting. I have 11, 12, 14 and 15m kites. Was thinking of bringing the 15m Turbine with me along with my skis. Issue is that I am a very good skier, decent kiter, but never snowkited. Do I need a lesson? Will my 174cm GS skis be OK? Will it be OK to "just do it" with instruction from the locals? Would love to talk to someone who goes to Skyline... Thanks! Need to buy plane tickets! Lorenzo

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby scklandl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Bring 15 and 11. I only brought 12 and would like smaller kite. Whatever skis you like ride most... ask some locals about winds and site protocols and only go when locals are out. There are enough locals around that if no one is at the spot you are at, you are in the wrong place.

Ive had one day so far and take it easy with the jumping. Start at 10-20% tension of what you would normally pull the trigger and do it at lower points in topography than locals. Ive been kiting for 15 years and wind direction behaves 3 dimensionally on the hills. It totally changes all your aspects of jumping and placement.

I got in my first glides, yay! And also got a bit spooked when the winds did things that i am completely not used too.

Prepare to be humbled and have blast learning a whole new thing

MajnoLo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sudbury
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, First Encounter, Pleasure Bay, Nahant, Revere, Vineyard Sound
Gear: Water stuff: CrazyFly board, 8m Switchblade, 9M Naish Park, 11m Switchblade, 12m Omega, 14m Rally, 15m Turbine

Postby MajnoLo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Thank you scklandl! A couple more questions - did you take any lessons or would you recommend it? There is a local person I have contacted that does that ($300 for half day or something?). Did you take any lessons or did you just give it a go? I am thinking just do it but of all the sports I have done kiting is one that seems best to learn from others...! Thanks!

SupaFly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas / Colorado
Gear: Ozone Access 9m
Salomon Sanchez 152cm
CrazyFly LW

Postby SupaFly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:37 pm

If you are an experienced water kiter, I don't think lessons are needed. You already know the safety stuff, and most of it is common sense anyways. Before I got out here to Colorado I only had about 12 hours of water lessons and a couple years of messing around with a skateboard and trainer kite, so I am still pretty new (to large depowerable kites).

I read through a lot of threads on here to learn some stuff before my first snow kite adventure (IE. Strap into the snowboard/skis before launching, learned a little about gliding on the off chance I accidentally went for a flight, etc.)

I had no problems picking it up. My first couple rides were a little nerve wracking, but you just need to remember the main safety principals are the same as water kiting... know your safety releases, don't kite with obstacles downwind of you, knowledge of the wind window, where to and not to fly the kite for more/less power, etc...

I assume Utah conditions are similar to Colorado. I suggest something like a 14m and a 10m, it will be rare that you need a small kite. Look up yearly wind averages for the spot you are going to, and you will see what I mean. Generally, mountain valleys don't get near as much wind as coastlines. I have a 10m and have been grounded more than half of the times I've tried to go kiting.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby scklandl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:36 pm

magnolo

Do you need lessons? No, but would I suggest hiring a local as your guide, YES. Especially if you are only here for a short time a local can tell you when to go where. So much of kiting anywhere is getting to know how to read the forecasts, where to look for wind data and how to interpret it, all that stuff. If you have plenty of money and are only here for a short period 1-2 weeks or only have a few days per week then let someone who has it all dialed tell you where to go and when and save countless hours searching the net for information that will only give you 10% of the picture.

scott klandl

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Have any referrals for kiting guides in Park City?

And it's ok to refer forum members who trade spot tips for beer / carpool / tear-aid / whatever ;)

Return to “Snow / Land”