Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

snow kiting - which is better? skies or board?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!
Brand Affiliation: None

snow kiting - which is better? skies or board?

Postby CaliRider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Which is better for snow kiting? skis or snowboard?

I hear that skis can go in lighter air conditions?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: snow kiting - which is better? skies or board?

Postby edt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 pm

In mixed conditions, like for instances patches of ice combined with patches of snow and crust skis are better because skis can grip on ice better. For a speed run when you want to max out your GPS record skies are better. On big POW days (super rare around here), snowboards are more fun to carve with. When doing terrain like park benches when the local park is full of snow, I like the snowboard better. For light wind conditions, it's more about making sure your stuff is tuned right and waxed properly. If you ride both skies and snowboard at the local mountain then use both kiteboarding. If you use skis on the mountain then use skis on the kite, if you use snowboard on the mountain use the snowboard on the kite. In general the snowboard is more fun, but skis do better in many cases.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 pm
In mixed conditions, like for instances patches of ice combined with patches of snow and crust skis are better because skis can grip on ice better. For a speed run when you want to max out your GPS record skies are better. On big POW days (super rare around here), snowboards are more fun to carve with. When doing terrain like park benches when the local park is full of snow, I like the snowboard better. For light wind conditions, it's more about making sure your stuff is tuned right and waxed properly. If you ride both skies and snowboard at the local mountain then use both kiteboarding. If you use skis on the mountain then use skis on the kite, if you use snowboard on the mountain use the snowboard on the kite. In general the snowboard is more fun, but skis do better in many cases.
Great. Just the info I was looking for. So, in short bring both. :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:22 pm

CaliRider wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 pm
edt wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 pm
Great. Just the info I was looking for. So, in short bring both. :D
Well depends on how full your car is! I usually bring more kites so I don't have room for both but if you have room go for it. Don't forget to wax your skis and snowboard. I usually bring one of those little emergency wax things look like deoderant too just in case.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:58 pm

I would just add that in very light wind conditions, skis allow you to better tension the lines in a lulls to keep the kite in the air ( by using the kind of "roller blade dance" , sorry I do not know the name in english). You can also avoid easier obstacles like little rocks on your way .

Overall skis are more all-round but can be a bit more physical for the arms in long strait lines since the more facing position pushes to drive the kite with one hand.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:09 am

If you're new to snow kiting I would go with skis. Getting around and in position on a snowboard sucks..

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:09 am

I always get into my snowboard bindings before I launch. If you have any experience snowboarding you know how to hop around, slide and such to move even when you are strapped in. I know a lot of skiers that switch to snowboarding try to launch their kite first and then get into their bindings while flying the kite, that's a comedy. Just strap in first then launch, then it's easy.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 am

edt wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:09 am
I always get into my snowboard bindings before I launch. If you have any experience snowboarding you know how to hop around, slide and such to move even when you are strapped in. I know a lot of skiers that switch to snowboarding try to launch their kite first and then get into their bindings while flying the kite, that's a comedy. Just strap in first then launch, then it's easy.
I do have experience hopping around on a snowboard :angryfire: that's why I prefer skis.. :roll:

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Short of going flow chart.......

1. If you already know how to kite on the water -

A. Snowboard if you already know how to snowboard.

B. Skis if you already know how to ski, or are just learning to snowkite with no snowboard background.

2. If you don't know how to kite on the water but can snowboard (but not ski)-

A. Snowboard

3. If you don't know how to kite on the water but do ski (but not snowboard)

A. Skis

4. If you don't know how to kite and don't know how to either ski or snowboard.

A. It is easier to learn kite control on skis and you fall down less with less force (on your backside). Time skiing on a hill is very important to getting some feel for edging skis (though rollerblading or ice skating can give you an idea of what to do).

B. It is harder to learn kite control with a snowboard, and impacts (to your backside) are more severe, but edge control makes slightly more sense with out time on a hill.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:03 pm

4. If you don't know how to kite and don't know how to either ski or snowboard.

A. It is easier to learn kite control on skis and you fall down less with less force (on your backside). Time skiing on a hill is very important to getting some feel for edging skis (though rollerblading or ice skating can give you an idea of what to do).

B. It is harder to learn kite control with a snowboard, and impacts (to your backside) are more severe, but edge control makes slightly more sense with out time on a hill.
C. Get on your local mountain and figure out how to snowboard or ski. last thing you want to do is learn how to fly the kite and learn how to snowboard or ski if you've never done a snowplow in your life. You'll just start zooming downwind at speed screaming "Out of my way I can't control this crazy thing!"

That said, learning the entire sport of kiteboarding is actually easier on the snow than the water, because you can stand up and don't need to learn how to water start.

Return to “Snow / Land”