Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to find a snowboard for snowkiting

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to find a snowboard for snowkiting

Postby Matteo V » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Given the "new age BS" in snowboard design, I am finding it hard to come up with a snowboard for snowkiting.

I have rocker and flat boards and they suck for 70% of the conditions I ride in. I also am not interested in reverse or straight sidecut as I like to carve with a depowered kite. I need a cambered standard sidecut board and those are nearly extinct in true-twin shape with no setback.

My favorite board was my old 5150 Stroke 164w. It was a true twin with actual camber NOT ROCKER!

Anyone know of a source for large wide true twin cambered boards for cheap? I hit lots of rocks every year so I don't really want a nice board for the hill, but rather a board I can ride across a bit of parking lot on occasion.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where to find a snowboard for snowkiting

Postby lewmt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Keep checking ebay. I picked up a 172 Nitro for $90US that was a great board - super snappy & carvy and floaty on powder days & true twin tip. That included shipping btw. It was brand new & some old model + being 172 - nobody wanted the thing. Craigslist & pawn shops too

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 pm

What's wrong with a little setback? If you are willing to tolerate a little setback you can pick and choose a variety of boards. I move the bindings to inserts which minimize the setback and can barely notice it. I agree the banana boards suck for typical snow kite conditions, but I do like the straight sidecut a lot, makes it so much easier to do long reaches holding a lot of power. I can see tho why you want the sidecut if you like to ride with less power.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:23 am

lewmt wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 pm
Keep checking ebay. I picked up a 172 Nitro for $90US that was a great board - super snappy & carvy and floaty on powder days & true twin tip. That included shipping btw. It was brand new & some old model + being 172 - nobody wanted the thing. Craigslist & pawn shops too
Yup, that is my current approach. But still, I would love to have a source for new and a source for other snowkiters around here just starting out. And yes, I have tried the "oh, it's just a little off" thing. Unfortunately, it is not to my liking as I started out on boards that had no compromises.

Undule
Rare Poster
Gear: Boardriding Maui - Slingshot - Go Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Undule » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Metteo, I kind of like the riding style that you describe - carving with a depowered kite rather than holding a bunch of power down for jumping - at least that's what I've been doing up to this point. I've been on a quest too for a true twin that is WIDE not the kind of wind other manufacturers think is wide. Big feet and use lifts. Lifts no more. I found Donek (I've know about them in name for a long time) and on their site they had a board that was a prebuilt but looked like a good fit. Contact them info@ they might have some blems or something that's less expeinsife that might work for you. What I ended up with was a Knapton 162, 30.6 cm waist, 9M radius, regular camber but not wicked high.

Have not had kite under it yet but on the hill for a session - can lay down some super tight and railed turns. Still getting use to to but should be "fun" ripping toeside carving transitions with the BMR Cloud D kites this season. No. More. Plates.

-eric

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 am

I do have a like 166 board that is just a bit wider than my regular boards. I think the measurements are:

Stroke (or Morrow RV) 164 are like 26.5 cm wide
166 board is something like 27.6 cm wide

The 166 board is too wide for me to edge on hard sections even in light wind. Could be setup, as this is the only directional I still own that I have tried to set up bindings as close to center as possible. It could also be that I only use soft and worn out boots while snowkiting, but like more stiffness when on the hill.

So while I would love to have a Donek wideboard for carving on the hill, I do not think it is the way to go while snowkiting.

I would love to see Donek get into selling some beater ultra cheap Chinese sourced cambered wide (not Donek wide) boards. For me, there is just no reason to have a nice EXPENSIVE board at the locations I snowkite.

Return to “Snow / Land”