Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP
Brand Affiliation: None

Should I snag a cheap Aeros Gyro?

Postby soplo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 am

Hi, there’s a used-once Gyro in my area that seems like a good deal. But I’m new to kiting and the only person I’ve talked to isn’t familiar with that kite. It should be decent for my size/needs while I develop and figure out what full-priced kite(s) to get—or if this one's all I need. Right now I just have a trainer. So, any input, positive or negative on the Gyro? I have no idea what year the kite is… I just don’t want to get a bargain on something that’s notorious for safety issues or something.

Only thing I’ve found is this short thread: viewtopic.php?t=2333916.

Thank you!

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Should I snag a cheap Aeros Gyro?

Postby mbevo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:42 am

I would get a more recent depowerable kite if I were you. Winter winds can be quite gusty and last thing you want is to get spanked by gusts when you are learning. Bite the bullet and get a newer ozone or flysurfer kite, or if you are ever interested in kitesurfing get a newer 3 strut LEI.

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Good to know, thank you.
mbevo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:42 am
...last thing you want is to get spanked by gusts when you are learning.
I'd say that describes me accurately. It's no use saving money now if I'll just spend it at the Emergency Room later.

migel1976
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Moscow region
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites Airush Lithium 8, FlySurfer Soul 10, 15; Boards Flydoor 170x50, Shin Pinbot 141x44, Hydrofoil Mday 1050 cm

Postby migel1976 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm

I learning on this kite, it was 4 version 9m. Like study kite it's good it has durable the cloth, but only for several months no more, mine 9m can fly only 4m/s, on depower system drop not much power, and this kite with open cells so not good for gusty wind, many times walk to kite and untwisted it. So when i first try Ef Joker D8 in lightwind i was loved and after that i bought similar kite with closed cell
Tell the truth try to find another one, for example ozone frenzy, summit very frendly and for winter time very good, but not cheap like Gyro.
Aeros Gyro in action :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZX548t ... ZQ&index=5
Change to this one, still alive :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omn9GgQ ... ZQ&index=8

usa
Medium Poster

Postby usa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 pm

The Gyro is a super stable kite working from low to strong winds. Comparable with the Ozone Frenzy or HQ Montana, but more stable I would say. I flew all versions from 1-3, compared to Montana, Frenzy and Summit. In the french alps it´s a kite you see more often, check out Laurent Hemards FB https://www.facebook.com/laurent.hemard.5

Return to “Snow / Land”