Forum for snow- and landkiters
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Compact Gimbal for snowkiting video?

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Does anyone have a compact 3 axis gimbal they recommend for filming snowkiting?
Preferably something you can attach a GoPro to, or else it includes a camera at least as good. (some of the small cameras take really crappy video, even though they are 4K - looking for crispness and color accuracy).

@waynepj gave me some footage a couple years ago that was gimbal stabilized and it was such nice smooth floating footage. Magical stuff. I think his was a kickstarter prototype he waited a couple years to get.

Anyway, there are now a lot of products on the market. Was wondering if any of the options out there can tolerate some snow (head plant powder wrecks) and are compact enough to pack along for the day. Throw on your helmet or a pole when needed to film yourself or others.

I saw that Yi has one out now for $99 on Amazon, but it gets mixed reviews and seems bulky for action sports mounting.

Thanks for any tips. :thumb:

GDTRFB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: snow
Gear: open and closed cell foils from 3m to 15M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Compact Gimbal for snowkiting video?

Postby GDTRFB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 am

I just got one of these...

https://www.slick.video/products/slick

Its purpose built for the go pro. Haven't used it kiting yet but have used it alpine skiing and nordic skating...pretty happy thus far.

My brother has also mounted it on the deck of his pilot boat off the Maine coast. Took salt spray with no issues and gave steady images in 6-8 foot seas

Worth checking out

Return to “Snow / Land”