Rare Poster
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snowkiting near Bozeman/Big Sky MT

Postby big_ski » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:19 am

Hey guys,

Working up at Big Sky Resort this season, and I'm really missing wind sports. I have a lot of windsurfing experience and a fair bit of kitesurfing experience (dabbled since I was 12), so I figure snowkiting out here could really scratch the itch. Does anyone have any info on good kitespots around big sky/bozeman? I don't have a car, but I can kind of get around on the bus and I might be able to borrow a friend's car, so anything that's a day trip from big sky is probably my best bet.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what size kite I should get. I've done some boarding/trikes on land, and we've always used relatively small kites for that, is snowkiting similar? I was thinking a 9m would probably work pretty well in most conditions, but seeing as we're in the mountains, I figure I might want a little extra power (because the lulls).

Thanks!

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Snowkiting near Bozeman/Big Sky MT

Postby lewmt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 am

There are quite a few kiters in the Bozeman area. Look up Montana Kiters on facebook also. Your main spots for park & ride will be Raynolds Pass, Island Park, & Mt Haggin. Right now spots right in close to Bozeman are rideable as well. If you have a snowmobile there are so many options but I'm guessing you are looking mostly for park & ride places. Your best bet will be to arrange meet-ups with others who happily accept gas$ & beers for a lift. These places are anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours from Big Sky. There is also the Snowkite Rodeo coming up on President's weekend in February. That will be mostly happening in/near Jackson, MT. Mostly we ride bigger kites on snow - usually -. 12's, 13's, 14's. Like with all kiting your best bet is a couple of sizes at least.

I'm north of Gt. Falls so I'm not much help getting you out there.

Return to “Snow / Land”