Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How often do you get chased by dogs?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

How often do you get chased by dogs?

Postby kitejumping » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Riding on a popular frozen lake, everyone loves to walk their dogs off leash, and everyone thinks their dog is perfectly trained, until it ignores them and darts off at a kiter a quarter mile away. I usually get chased by barking dogs at least once a week. Most of the time they are playful but the one yesterday was bigger and looked mean, luckily was well powered and took off 30+ downwind.

How frequently are you chased by dogs when snowkiting?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How often do you get chased by dogs?

Postby plummet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Yeah, All the time when i'm landkiting on the beach. I think its funny as f***. I blast off down the beach with dog trailing behind for a good km and owner screaming at the top of their lungs at the dog, Then I blast back super fast leaving the dog in my dust..... hilarious. Sometimes i'll run the dog back and forward until its completely worn out.

If i dont wont to be around the dog for what ever reason i just hawl arse faster than they can run. They soon give up.
GOPR3716.jpg

kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Postby kitejumping » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Nice, that is a classic picture right there.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Dog can be annoying, especially when their dumb-ass owners stand by and do nothing..

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Encouraging dogs to completely disobey their owners and chase kites is loads of fun...!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 am

I ran over a Ratdog once. Ir was yapping at my front tires and just ran right in front of me. It bounced up and down under the board for a couple of seconds then popped out the back. I was sure it was going to be broken or dead. But no it popped up an ran off. I thought the owner was going to be pissed, but no he was apologizing for his shitty dog!

The most impressive dog was an Alsatian. It has a 40kph for a solid 2km. Good effort i thought,

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I had a mutt long ago literally run up and bite my brand new kite first time. Some surgery in a hotel room got it going again. Owner said he'd pay for the damage never did. If your kite is in the air its safe and probably funny but when launching they don't understand and try to nip and bite at it. I'm very very protective of my kites around dogs. Oh and don't just leave your bag laying around. Had a new board bag pissed on by a dog. Dogs are bad news for kite gear.

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core
Has thanked: 0

Postby Windstoked » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 am

I haven't had it happen on the snow, but often when mountain biking.
I've been taken aback sometimes when the owner reprimanded me for riding away with their dog rather than reprimanding the dog for not obeying their commands. I've even been accused of trying to steal their dog.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Some lakes here seem to attract a certain element of idiots for ice fishing who let their dogs run loose. Some meathead types from the southern end of the state.
On those lakes, it's usually once or twice a season. I had to jump a shepard,this season. He jumped too, almost got me. I came down, turned on him and brought the kite low. kept yelling "no" and "go lay down!" which he was sorta responding too. His owner came up, slipped and exploded on the ice, then yelled at me saying yelling at his dog was a good way to get my face bit off.

A lot of these people, don't know jack about dogs.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 pm

A few times when kiting on water, I've had (overly optimistic) dogs charge at me from the shoreline. Not much of a contest. They usually turn back when they start to swim. Except Labs. Labs keep up the chase, swimming for the sheer joy of it. :thumb:

"Dogs just wanna' have fun." (Madonna)

Return to “Snow / Land”