Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Ozone Enduro V1 9m, 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

First take on the new Ozone Explore?

Postby jjbruck » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:21 pm

Ozone just released their first single skin snowkite, the Explore:

https://ozonekites.com/products/land-sn ... xplore-v1/

I've always been intrigued by other single-skin kites like the Peak, but never ridden one. I'm curious what folks think about this new Ozone kite! What are the tradeoffs vs. their other beginner-intermediate snow/land kites like the Access? Of course chime in if you've already had the chance to ride one :)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First take on the new Ozone Explore?

Postby kitexpert » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 pm

I like how it looks like, actually quite a lot like those I've made during last few years. Much more canopy curve and more "traditional" construction than what Peak has.

Compared to Access single skins produce less dynamic lift (which is needed for jumping) but they have more grunt and they fly in very low winds. Other single skin benefits are listed behind the link. Personally I like when you can use couple of kite size smaller single skin which allows quite fast and reactive feeling not having that foil kite slowing inertia.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: First take on the new Ozone Explore?

Postby fernmanus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:35 am

I have been flying the FS Peak kites for years. In light or intermittent wind, the Peak easily out performs the Access. I have been flying my Peak 9 when other kiters with Access kites can’t get their kites in the air. It is true that the Peak. Is not a great jumper, but the Access is not great for jumping either.

I am curious to see how the Explore stacks up against the Peak 3.

Return to “Snow / Land”