ARC's for Landuse ok?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:53 pm

Hi Ian,

Why don't you think the ARC can get speed like a "land foil"? If we're talking the S-arc, its a low aspect ratio kite. So maybe we're comparing apples to oranges. Maybe we should compare teh HI-arc or the F-arc. However, on the s-arc, I can get some sick speeds on land (on grass and snow). never rode on ice.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:07 pm

I agree with ian, on land you generally do not use the kite the same way as when kiteurfing.

kitesurfing you are usually flying the kite very powered up and near the edge of the window most of the time. You need tons of power to overcome the high friction.

On land, buggying and skiing, for just cruising around you generally use a smaller kite with less power and get acceleration out of it by using the brakes to stall the kite right into the center of the powerzone.

On a buggy or with downhill skis on ice, I can acelerate faster and go much faster (top end) while still being in control with a four line foil than I can with any of my kiteurfing foils, even the warriors.

(The warriors luff only very rarely in gusty conditions, I hear they are tons better than the speedairs in this regard)

Generally with a kitesurfing kite I have to sine the kite a great deal to build up speed. If I choose a large kite for faster acceleration I can not hold a fast course across the wind without getting overpowered so I have to steer up or down wind to compensate by loosing speed.

With a 4 line foil I can just pull the brakes to stall the kite into the powerzone to accelerate and hold it in position until I start moving fast. Then partly of fully release the brake to really take off.

With the lower friction on land or ice I can get more range for fast cruising out of a four line foil on handles than I can with a kiteurfing kite. kitesurfing kites fly essentially like a two line kite, even if you have a depower system.

Jumping is another matter, because you need to have the kite overpowered to get air. A kitesurf kite with a bar works better for me.

The above is just my opinion, but if you try both you will see that they can both work well, but the handling and performance is different.

V, when you come up to KOI in madison (Feb2) I'll let you try some kites with handles so you can experience the difference for yourself.

Trent

Finktankfunk
Rare Poster

Postby Finktankfunk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:38 pm

it was mu understanding that not all arcs are self sealing. But even if they are, a well designed selfsealing kite could be more aerodynamic than a true ram foil. Since your maximum speed is limited by the kites maximum speed unless your going downwind in a hurricane and kinda even then.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:25 pm

handles offer far more contol to a user than a bar, but all the windsurefers were used to bars, so thats what we have.

if you want a foil just for land get an open cell foil on handles, with a line between the backs of the handles, its a different ball game control wise.

steer clear of the higher performace buggy foils though if stability is a major concern.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:59 pm

i have max out at 49mph with my 13m (2004)arc.i use it on a bar with no problems....aj

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:30 pm

I have used Arcs on land far more than I have no the water and flown by an experinced flyer are as good as any Blade or LD.They are great for mountainboarding and in the buggy.They dont collapse and have masses of power, more than enough on land. I have used my 630 solely as a kiteboard and buggy kite, it takes some beating. To give an example I also use a Frenzy 7.3. The Frenzy develops slightly more power than the Arc 630. De-power is better on the Frenzy. Arc turns much faster so generates more manageable and stearable power for the buggy. Wipes the floor with a blade2 4.9 in the jumping stakes.
An Arc is a foil. What deffines it as water re-launchable is that the inlet valves are one way. On land and on water the kite retains its shape on landing and can stay powered up. In stronger winds more care has to be taken. Problem with Arcs is that people that do not fly them tend to dimiss them as a quirky design, not really a real land or water kite. Those of use that fly Arcs realise how good these kites really are. The New Guerilla kites are very good. The G10 is very good on land. The Hi- Arc is ok but a pain to re-launch due to high aspect ratio and non sealed canopy.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:05 pm

I have an Standard Arc 630.

I use it for land use solely, when the winds are strong i may try it on water.

I bought it this year, I have used it inland and have been a little disapointed. In gusty conditions it does not seem to perform. I have used it also by the coast in a good breeze and it was superb, as was an 840 Arc.

Am I the only one to struggle with an inland gusty breeze? It tends to jump around and fall.

DM

screven
Very Frequent Poster

ARCs on Land

Postby screven » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:22 pm

I have been using ARCs with mountain boards for almost 2 years and have had great luck with them. I land board in the desert and it can get very gusty. The ARC is great for this since one can prepare for a gust by oversheeting the kite when it inadvertantly drops into the power zone during a lull. I have used them all but the 460 is my favorite for land boarding. The 840 and 1120 are fun but watch out for lofting!!!

Chris

the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby the_lone_wolf » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:41 am

i may only be 11st or so but i find the G13 perfect for land use, i can get boarding in 10mph easy and still use it safely in 20mph+ (i say + cause i haven't had it out in any more than that yet) - i would have to disagree with the comments that the closed cell style kites are unsuitable for land use - they have a 100% safety system, incradible satbility and gust absortion and are generally a fantastic kite, perhaps you will be in the air 5 mins behind the guy with the blade, but he will spend more time than that untangling after a few twisting luffs:)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:34 am

Arc's are the best all-season, multi-descipline kite around. I use my 1120 and 630 on the water with a directional and a wakeboard, on snow with a snowboard and on land with a mountainboard. Very user friendly flight characteristics (stable and predictable) and good wind range.

Return to “Snow / Land”