Forum for snow- and landkiters
kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Snow board delam

Postby kjelleren » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:51 pm

While totally ripping it up this morning on ice, I pretty much delaminated the Ptex from the entire heel side of my board. It is a Burton Charger, and probably 5 years old. Has anybody else had this happen. It was harsh and very noisy edging. Slushy ice crud was packed between the ptex and base. Board destroyed. Are there better boards for crunchy ice surface. I hate to go buy another and have this happen again.

Gary

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:22 am

I had the same thing happen with my hyperlite 165 steep. heelside delaminated, steel edge pulled out, even some of the metal tabs on the steel edge were broken. Board was a few years old or older (I think hyperlight only made snowboards one year).

I was doing pretty much the same thing, riding on ice with only a couple of inches of slushy snow on top. I could tell that the edge of the board was running on the ice and not snow.

I think that maybe this is a problem with many boards, as there are pictures of a similar board failure posted at downhaul.com. My board was cap construction, don't know if that matters or not. Seems like riding on ice requires that the edge be attached to the board in a stronger manner.

vesku
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vesku » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:40 am

Same happened to me with a brand new Burton Custom Split 165 after five rides (I returned it to the reseller). No probs with flat ice but when ice gets rought it is bad for edges. But no problems with other boards... yet. Othervise Burton Split is very good for kiteboarding. And if the wind stops you can ski back.

We are building custom kitesnowboards ( http://www.powderflower.com ) for next season and this is the thing that we have to keep in mind...

Take care,

VESKU

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:42 am

Yesterday I met a guy who said that he has broken two boards already during this season. Both of those were rail damages: the steel edges just fall away from the bottom. The reason might be our icy conditions - lakes are covered with a very thin snow layer (a couple of centimeters of snow) and icy blotch are visible everywhere.

Return to “Snow / Land”