naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Switckites Nitro 14m Small review on

Postby naishdude » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:42 am

Switchkites Nitro 14m

Had my first test on the Switchkites Nitro 14 yeasterday.
Wind was gusty around 9 to 11 knots, afterwards building up to 14 knots.
It was light choppy, and I was out on a free race board Airush sector 60 V2.

After pumping up the kite, you see it is massive, I had a Ozone Zephyr 17m before, but it did not look Smaller but thet is propably an optical illusion ,;:=)).

I went out and when the wind picked up, I could not hold the bar anymore, too much pressure, the kite pulled like a train and it felt like a wild bull.

At first I was dissapointed, but remembered there was another knot on the connection from the powerlines, so landed the kite attached the powerlines to the knot that is the farest away from the LEI and started again, all of a sudden all the barpressure was gone, and the kite was much easier to fly.
That said, I too will have to look at the pressure I pumped it with, as I thought it had enough pressure, but sometimes got the feeling it was gellyfishing a bit, although I think when it was doing this, I also would have been able to ride my method 9m on my waveboard with my 78kg.

So people if you think the barpressure is way out to high, you simply attach your powerlines to the second knot, the one the farest away from your LEI ( the knots are in the powerlines, not in the bridle ones)

Build quality is the Switch label, it is equivalent to any other top kite brand on the market.

Frank. L
Last edited by naishdude on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switckites NITRO 14m Small review on

Postby jkrug » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:17 pm

i'm confused by what you mean by 'powerlines'. do you mean the front or back flying lines? given that there's a single knot on the end of the front lines (if you're using the Switch bar), i would assume you mean the back lines. but moving the connection closer to the LE on the back lines would only increase bar pressure. and there is only one knot on my Nitro off the back lines, though it's only a 10M...maybe the 14M has more. so can you better describe your scenario to lessen the bar pressure.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Re: Switckites NITRO 14m Small review on

Postby naishdude » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:39 pm

jkrug wrote:i'm confused by what you mean by 'powerlines'. do you mean the front or back flying lines? given that there's a single knot on the end of the front lines (if you're using the Switch bar), i would assume you mean the back lines. but moving the connection closer to the LE on the back lines would only increase bar pressure. and there is only one knot on my Nitro off the back lines, though it's only a 10M...maybe the 14M has more. so can you better describe your scenario to lessen the bar pressure.
On the 14m Nitro you have two knots on your frontlines, the grey lines which you connect to the black lines, so not your steering lines.

If these knots are not on your frontlines (which I doubt) , just carefully try to add a knot on those connectors, makes your kite 's leading edge tilt forward a little and thus depowering your kite.
On my 14m Nitro the second knot away from the LEI, the first knot you meet when you run out your lines, helps a lot to reduce barpressure! But it also takes a lot of power out of your kite.
Kind regards
Frank L.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Re: Switckites Nitro 14m Small review on

Postby naishdude » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:57 pm

I improved/corrected my explanation a bit in the above post, I think it will be more clear now.
Hope this helps, otherwise you can put your question on the Switchkites forum wher ethe people of Switchkites will help you further,
Pls let me kno wyour findings!
Thx
Kind regards
Frank.L

Return to “Reviews”