2013 Cabrinha Xbow and Switchblade first impressions

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

2013 Cabrinha Xbow and Switchblade first impressions

Postby shawn13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:51 am

This week I upgraded from a 2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 13m and 2011 Convert 9m to the 2013 Cabrinha Xbow 13, SB 10 and SB 7.

I got out Thursday for the first time on the SB 10. It is a great improvement over the 9m i was riding before. Riding conditions were 16kts gusting 24kts. Main differences are power (obviously a size increase) and the SB has lighter bar pressure.However I really notcied that the new SB handles the gusts smoothly. Not jerky and didnt flutter through the gusts like the convert did.The boost is alot better over the convert too.

Main differences in the Xbows riding 13 to 17knts tonight: the 2013 is a great improvement in turning speed. I would say that it probably turns almost twice as fast as the 2011.
I noticed it right away. And on transitions where the 2011 would take its time, the 2013 is already over before i've reacted to the direction change. Felt closer to SB speed than older Crossbow speeds. I feel that this kite would do decent loops as well, however i didn't try it in a drysuit in 3 degree waters. Bar pressure is significantly lighter. I'm curious to know how it flies in lighter winds, say 10 knot range with a Sector.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with my upgrades. I couldn't recommend these kites more.

FYI I am not affiliated with Cabrinha in any way.

Will post an update after a few more sessions.

UPDATE

Saturday I was able to test out the 7m Switchblade. First thing that I love about this kite is the colour. The Wildcard mostly black colour i think looks amazing.

The sandbanks sensor was reading 35 knots when I arrived early Sat. I was surprised to be the only kiter there, but figured I since I drove all that way I should test it out.
Self launching wasnt an issue. As soon as i pulled the kite into the wind it launched along the window with ease.
Smooth handling and low pressure. It felt as if it had no power but as soon as I dropped it to start to ride it pulled. Soft bar pressure I guess.
In the severe gusts it barely fluttered and power increased very smoothly. The turning speed was fast. I hit the water a few times at first until I got used to the turning speed. Way faster than the 10m SB.

The small bar seemed perfect size for the control of the kite and I quickly found myself one handing and steering with ease.

Self landing was tricky. I used the IDS system and the kite didnt flag like my other ones do. As i started to walk up the front line it did take off and repower in a gust, crashing itself.
I was able to pull one line and have it flip onto its LE. If i were to kite with it again, I would tie off an anchor and pull the ids then anchor the loop to flip it myself.
I did try some air but found I dropped instantly, but I found out later that when i checked my lines they come from the factory untuned.

Overall Im extremely happy with the purchase for 25+ knot days!

Last edited by shawn13 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stilbay - Western Cape
Favorite Beaches: CT bigbay, Whitesands Kommetjie, Langebaan, Stilbay, Sterkfontein, Kalpitya
Style: Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2014, 4, 6, 8, 11, Bandit 5 - 10. F-one acid 130. Cabrinha thruster.
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Cabrinha Xbow and Switchblade first impressions

Postby Timop » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 am

The new SB's are a lot better than the 2011 and 2012. I upgraded from the trusty 2011 XB11 to the SB11 and the 2012 SB8 to 2013 SB8. The 8 boosts higher than 2012 with much lighter bar pressure and whips through loops and like you said nice and smooth through the gusts. I was told to fly both kites on the 3rd knot (i.e closest to the kite) and in light wind on the 11 even on the fourth knot (where the bridal connects to the rear line attachment point). The 3rd knot setting feels the best.

I have not tried the 11 in really light wind, but in 15 to 22 knots it is super fast and feels like the 2012 8. It boosts as high as the 2011 XB, but not with as much float. Through loops you have a better chance of swinging under the kite than the 2011XB as it seems to have more lift as it comes out of the loop. I chose not to go with the 2013 XB because I wanted more turning speed. However your comment that the XB2013 turns twice as fast than XB2011, puts it on par with the SB.

The only draw back of the two kites are perhaps at the low end of the wind range, where you have to sine the kite a lot and because of the lighter bar pressure you may feel it is not as strong as the previous models.

Overall I am super happy with the upgrade!

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 pm

I agree with the sine comment. At first I thought it was just light wind, but realized with was a lack of bottom end. However at 10 minutes of riding i was used to it and it came naturally after a direction change. :thumb: The upwind performance was pretty amazing in my opion as well.

Id also like the mention how easy the kites are to set up. The old pump was a little still, but this new one you need hardly any pressure to put air in the kite. Im still getting used to it as both sessions i seemed to under pump the kite as the leading edge creased slightly on launch. Something i'm sure ill get used to as well. The lines don't tangle. You lay them out and your ready to rig it instantly.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 am

I was thinking about getting a 2013 SB 6m to go with my 2012 SB 9m & 12m, but the comments about weak low end make me think I should get a 7m.

What do you guys think?

Timop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stilbay - Western Cape
Favorite Beaches: CT bigbay, Whitesands Kommetjie, Langebaan, Stilbay, Sterkfontein, Kalpitya
Style: Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2014, 4, 6, 8, 11, Bandit 5 - 10. F-one acid 130. Cabrinha thruster.
Been thanked: 0

Postby Timop » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Dave - I do not think you have to be concerned about the low end of the 6 as you can push the 9 way past the start range of the 6. My son (65Kg) has the 2012 6 and he uses it when I am on the 8, from about 16 knots. (He does unhooked tricks, so likes the lighter wind) Having said that, I (80kg) only feel comfortable on the 6 when it goes above 32 to 35.

So perhaps the answer is, if the wind in your area seldom goes above 30, get a 2011 or 2012 6 for the odd day when it is cooking and trade your 2012 in on the new 2013, in whichever wind range you think you will use the most.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 pm

UPDATED!!!

Return to “Reviews”