Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

What wetsuit do you recommend

Postby lindseym » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:17 am

Hello all,
Its time for me to get a new wetsuit. I live in Tampa so it's not too cold, but during the winter it will get down to the 50s. I was considering a Mystic but wasnt sure. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks
Lwm

windnwater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lyme Regis
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands, Putsborough Sands, Gwithian, Praa Sands, Watergate Bay
Style: Twintip
Gear: 141cm Cabrinha Tronic, 14m Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What wetsuit do you recommend

Postby windnwater » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Hey Lindseym,

The new Mystic Majestics are supposed to be quite good but they don't have single lined panels to stop the wind chill.

I'm brand loyal and have stuck with O'Neill since day dot. I have the Epic which is quite cheap but still has the G&B seams, etc. The 2014 model has the same stretchy neoprene like the arms of my suit but all the way through the suit. I've looked a lot on the net and they are normally around £129 but this website are still selling them at the old price of £119.99 not sure if they realise: http://www.boylos.co.uk/products/view/o ... -epic-53mm

I live in the UK so I get Free Shipping. not sure on the costs for you.

I'd definitely get a suit with single lined panels though, Spartan suits are quite cool too: http://www.spartanwetsuits.com/products ... adies-543/ the cyclone is full single lined so should keep you REALLY warm!!! Hope I help. :D

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:04 pm

The NPX suits (is it NP now?) are pretty good. Are comfortable and super stretchy....maybe too stretchy as I get more water sloshing down the back than in other suits. Nice looking suit though.

However, the best built suits I think are ProMotion, check out their website. It isn't the most modern website, but they have been building suits for a long time and you get more of a hand crafted feel to the designs (build quality over bells/whistles/graphics).

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Mystic and NP suits are some of the most over espoused neoprene on the market, whit the lowest quality seen in the business off neoprene in the last 5-10 years.

Buy Oneill - Rip Curl, then you get quality neoprene, that the Mystic and NP never have tried to make, but their PR department would like you to think they are capable of.

They are not!!

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Hyperflex makes a great one also with vents in the legs for the water to run out when it shoots up your legs. Most suits on the market these days are the same so look for a close out on a 2013 or 2012 since not much has changed in construction in the past few years.

Captain_East
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Sinai - El Gouna Red Sea - Sharm El Sheikh
*Red Sea - Egypt*
Gear: - Cabrinha SwitchBlade 2014 - 9 - 12 m

-Xenon Laluz 135
-Shinn Monk Forever 134
-LiquidForce - Recoil 130

Postby Captain_East » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Just bought a new O'Neill Superfreak suit. Super warm and nice. a bit tight on the neck but with time it will smooth. I'm so happy with O'neill and i recommend it.

From windy Egypt with love :)

dG
Rare Poster

Postby dG » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:16 am

I've had one of this years Mystic Majestic 5/3s for about a month now. I've had quite a few sessions where it's only been about 8 or 9 degrees C (so around the 50 degree F mark you're talking about) and I've not even felt mildly chilly so far. It's kept my core warm enough to avoid wearing gloves so far too. For the price I think it's a really great option and a big step up from previous Mystic suits.

I've also got a Xcel Infinity Drylock 5/3 with built in hood for when it really drops. I've used that for a couple of seasons now in temperatures not much above freezing (minus 15 degrees C with windchill!) and it's an awesome suit. If your budget can stretch to it I'd definitely recommend one.

mogthedog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tenby
Favorite Beaches: fresh west
Style: waves
Gear: north rhino 2009 12M, 9M & 7.
D'light 5'10 x 18 1/4 custom surfboard and 5'10 2007 North Rocket fish and Large North Jaime pro 2007 and 2010 North raceboard

Postby mogthedog » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:24 am

Ion Onyx voltage is a really nice suit and really good quality
or like others said the mystic majestic
here
http://www.coastwatersports.com/mystic- ... -4027.html

I would definately get a wetsuit that has leg vents at the ankles, nothing worse than your legs filling up with water, all the ION and mystic suits have this. I tend to use my excel suit more for surfing as I hate having jelly legs ;)

dG
Rare Poster

Postby dG » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:00 pm

mogthedog wrote: I tend to use my excel suit more for surfing as I hate having jelly legs ;)
Good point - I use bindings so it's not something I need to consider but it's definitely something to bear in mind.

woodpecker
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Kite beach Mauritius
Style: wave
Gear: rrd obsesson 12m (2008) 9m (2011) - jimmy lewis 6.1 (timeless) - north whip 5.8 (2013) - twin shinn 132x40 (2008)

Postby woodpecker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Good fit is all in a wetsuit. I would find a place where they warrant perfect fit by paying the post for returns. Use the guide from different brands and go for it. Once you find the right brand stick to it. For example I use Neil Pryde 52L across their line. Tried to go for a Billabong on guidance from their measurements and it was a joke - could not breathe. Tech wise there are many good out there - for kiting Ion, NeilPryde and Mystic are dedicated brands. Those not dedicated such as O'neill, Rip Curl, etc which are surfer suits don't have the right cut (i.e. forearms don't allow for extra space so they will cramp).

Lights out - hope it helps :thumb:

Return to “Reviews”