2019 Liquid Force - SOLO - 15.5m

2020 Liquid Force - ABSOLUTE - 140cm
2020 Liquid Force - POD 4'4 - HydroBoard
2020 Liquid Force - IMPULSE - Hydrofoil
2020 Liquid Force - MESSENGER - Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

2012 Liquid Force NRG 12m Review

Postby JimmyRyder » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:29 pm

I am writing this review now at the end of 2013 but I got my NRG in the fall of 2012 new, and at that time I was looking for „something different” on the upper end level of quality.

After using the NRG on water as well as snow, for the past 1.5 year I came to the following:
- The 2012 NRG (and 2013 model since is no substantial difference between them) combines low-end power with larger wind range and high-flying freestyle.
- The kite is basically a four strut ultra-flat canopy; I guess that makes it possible to generate that great low-end power.
- I got on NRG coming from Ozone (which I like just as much) and looking at the NRG bridle setup with a pulley on the wing tip bridle and one on the leading edge helps on rotations allowing for optimal power trimming, the pulley on the back lines help spread the load keeping the wingtips from bending and gives a great stability through the gusts which here in Southern Europe is a problem.
- Also the wing attachment point I think is kind of very high but from what I understood this setup gives a great inside depower.
- Overall I was really impressed with the low-end drive of the kite and the big lofty jumping capability.
- It has a light-touch turn initiation which helps me keep the kite in control and a great de-power on demand.
- Making a comparison between the other kites I try out, the turns are more pivotal but don’t generate as much power like the other fuller, wing-tipped freestyle kites in the group.
- From my own personal point of view, I think the NRG is great for the riders especially on the heavy side like myself (210lb – 95kg), who need lots of power and prefer a kite that delivers extra power instantly in order to compensate for the extra pounds or tend to ride a little on the aggressive style.
- This kite also works great and rockets when going upwind, its great sheeting ability allows to find the perfect upwind drive.
- On the Water Relaunch I can say that is NOT the easiest kite to relunch but then again, who will be relunching the kite that often? If someone would need to relunch so often or has difficulties with the relunching they may be fairly new to the sport and most definitely need some School Kites like the Envy,... beside that also take some more courses.
- Anyway for me once I learned the NRG’s particularities and it’s feedbacks I would say is a mid-range reluncher – not the best not the worst, besides that, the NRG’s flat canopy adds loft, float and distance to boosts.
- As I said, it took me some practice to get the timing of the flat arc to boost into better lifts and float, but the time I’ve spent this past summer with the NRG paid off big-time with some old-school danglers.
- Counting the difference for me been used to more snappy and playful turning, NRG’s has comparatively smooth and responsive initiation, but slower turn speed and finish so I guess I could say that once I got the grab of it, it felt more like the „park-and-fly” type of kite, but at the same time if you wanna get the most of it, then you really have to fly it.
Anyway once getting into the fly mode I felt its possibilities with the big wide wind range, low-end and big lofty jumps.

Beside the above, for me coming from the Ozone system it was really cool having that Maxflow on the NRG so I won’t have to lose my breath pumping on the beach (just joking). :D

My personal opinion on few tuning tips:
- NRG works better with the 18m lines - more responsive and quicker response on turns;
- With the 2 sets of lines (18m & 23m) it would feel like 2 fairly different power machines;
- Would advise to CHANGE the swivel, replace it with the new 2014 LF Swivel;

As you can see I mentioned few things I didn't like because my intention is to comment on the differences and possibilities given by this kite. The issues, problems, cons - would be fairly different from rider to rider and depending on rider weight, board size, line length, wind conditions, etc. - each of you will find different things that you will not like or like compared to the previous kite you've been using.

superpak101
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2012 Liquid Force NRG 12m Review

Postby superpak101 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:33 am

Great review! I'm super keen to try the NRG. Seems like a fun kite.

JimmyRyder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 220
Local Beach: Atlanta - GA
Ocean Side - GA, SC, NC
Tampa - FL
Favorite Beaches: Tampa - USA
Cape Hatteras - USA
Charleston - USA
Tarifa - Spain
Lefkada - Greece
Rhodos - Greece
Gokceada - Turkey
Urla - Turkey
Alacati - Turkey
Cesme - Turkey
Soma Bay - Egypt
Elgouna - Egypt
Marsala - Italy
Mamaia - Romania
Sulina - Romania
Style: FreeRide; Snowkiting;
Gear: 2020 North - REACH - 10m
2020 Liquid Force - NV - 13.5m
2019 Liquid Force - SOLO - 15.5m

2020 Liquid Force - ABSOLUTE - 140cm
2020 Liquid Force - POD 4'4 - HydroBoard
2020 Liquid Force - IMPULSE - Hydrofoil
2020 Liquid Force - MESSENGER - Surfboard

Re: 2012 Liquid Force NRG 12m Review

Postby JimmyRyder » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:14 am

Well then you find a place that keeps Liquid Force gear and try the NRG 2014 you will definitely love it.

Return to “Reviews”