Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How is the Liquid Force 15.5 solo for light wind?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
smokedvw
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How is the Liquid Force 15.5 solo for light wind?

Postby smokedvw » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I was curious how the 15.5 Solo is for light winds (8/14 knots) 8-10 being the lower part to be ridden on a twin tip. Currently I have a 14m NRG Lightbreeze and I can get going at about 10-11 knots at 80 kg on 135tt.

I wanted to know how the Solo is compared to the Lightbreeze for low winds... it sounds like it should be a great light wind kite that could also go up to 15 knots etc.

I want to get something that will work with my 12/9m Envy's.

How is the Solo's turning compared to the NRG?
How is the Solo at water relaunch at 8-10 knots?
How is its jumping compared to NRG?

Thanks

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Re: How is the Liquid Force 15.5 solo for light wind?

Postby fogmeister » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:47 pm

.................dude u need a bigger board!!!!! :rollgrin: :thumb:

smokedvw
Rare Poster

Postby smokedvw » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:19 pm

fogmeister wrote:.................dude u need a bigger board!!!!! :rollgrin: :thumb:
Thanks Mike... but seriously has anyone flown the 15.5 Solo?

Any comments on it.

Thanks

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I have the 15.5 meter and the low end is amazing. At 8 knots you are mowing the lawn or small jumps but if depending on your experience , ocean current, weight and board. The relaunching is the best I have seen. I use 17 meter lines and is fast turning. On 25 lines and big bar can turn fast.

below is the link of a review written by a friend. and also another link

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... -Solo-12m/

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... n/#1574641

I will post a video soon of last Sunday session.

I will never sale this kite.

cheers

Olas!
Rare Poster
Gear: 12m Flite

Postby Olas! » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:54 am

I just put up a review of the 15.5m Solo and totally agree with Cisco on LW ability and relaunch.

The kite flew great in super light wind, I don't have a wind meter but I would say it was definitely under 8kts. I was up and riding and would have been able to go upwind if I had a more efficient board.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:06 pm

I have never flown the solo but I was in Provo on long bay last December. The liquid force team were testing the solo right next door to us, making bridal adjustments for a week straight.
There were times when they were flying the solo in winds less then 4 knots on the beach. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would have had a hard time believing it.
The self land is interesting as well. They just pull the two outside lines in and the kite half inverts and floats to the ground directly downwind.... first time I saw that method.
Certainly on my list of kites to try next time I have the opportunity.
Pete

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:46 pm

This is a video about the Solo 15.5 meter kite on a light wind day. I was mowing the lawn and riding tiny waves. The video is only to show the self launch , relaunch and self landing. Also one tiny wave showing the conditions on that day. I have different kites from Naish Ride, BWS,Naish Park, Eclipse , Ozone Reo, DNA and lithium from Air Rush. This kite is for those 6+ knots days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqAiNRD5qZ0

janhantke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Munich/Ammersee
Favorite Beaches: Leucate: Les Palmes
Pelzerhaken
Grüner Brink
Achensee
Lake Garda
Valencia
Style: Old school
Gear: Best TS 6+10+15
Anton + North Board

Postby janhantke » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:20 am

Thanks for sharing your experiences! What do you think how the 15.5m version would do with a foil?

Cheers
Jan

fcwatersports
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks Poole
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay CPT Silver sands,WA
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit

Postby fcwatersports » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:11 am

I had the Chance to test the 15.5m Solo for the first time last week, i have never been a fan of big light wind kites but Liquid force had come to the store to show us all the new 2015 products so it was a great chance to get out and fly the new solo. First thing thats noticeable is the construction, its exceptionally light weight, and you left wondering about the durability of the kite, but time will tell on that side, i am sure LF have put enough time into testing there materials.
Once the kite was in the air, the thing you notice is that the solo will not sit directly above your head, but slightly back in the window, this is great because it stops that tendency for overflying, this also gives you confidence that actually the solo would also make a great teaching kite if the durability is there.
The Solo turns pretty well for a large kite, i think the 15.5m solo is equivalent to a 17m in other kites.
So my first ride out, off the beach wow, there was some power in the solo it was touching 12kts and i was properly powered up the power delivery was very smooth, and once locked in the kite tracked well with out stability issues. I did find when the gusts came through the Solo did have a tendency to flap a lot when sheeted out, it looks like this is a common theme across the Solo range, i guess its due to the weight and lack of rigidity in the canopy, but this isn't a problem when riding powered up.
Overall i was super impressed and if your that rider looking for a light wind/ or heavier rider looking for a powerful kite then really have look at the solo, i think you will be pleasantly surprised.
One thing i would say is if you do get a chance to demo the solo make 100% Sure you use it on the new 2015 bar as i found this made a big difference to the whole feel of the new range, If you haven't seen or had a chance to use the new bar, it really is a great bit of kit. i am sure there will be more reviews of that coming soon.
I would like to try the Solo in smaller sizes in more wind as i am amazed at how much power they deliver. it makes me wonder if the 6.5m is going to be to powerful for real 6.5m days. and will this lead to the Solo being a little bit confusing when purchasing.
For 2015 i think LF are about to deliver there best range of kites for quite some time, Lightweight, pulley less, compact bridles, and the combination of there new Bar might actually put LF on peoples shopping list over other top brands.
But go see for yourself and grab a demo, the proofs in the flying.

smokedvw
Rare Poster

Postby smokedvw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Thanks for the replies... funny enough I ended up riding a 6.5 solo and 9 solo for a few days but never got my hands on the 15.5.

I really liked how light and quick they were. I was out bombing around on the 9m when others were on 11 and 12's. Once the wind picked up though I switched to the 6.5m and was having a blast on that. I wanted to try how my 7m envy to see how the low end would compare and I was able to ride it in the same winds as the 6.5m (at least at that time), it was about 20-22 knots on a 135 twin tip.

The biggest thing I noticed on the Solo was how well it would rip upwind. I was going with a friend and in 2 tacks I would be way upwind of him. I also got some great jumps on the 9m and never had any issues relaunching. Including when I inverted the kite multiple times.

My friend was also amazed at how easily the relaunch was... the next day he had to go back to his 12m vector and was stuck swearing at it for 10 minutes wishing he was riding the Solo.

I'm hoping the 15.5 will act in the same manor for speed, relaunch and upwind in light winds as the other Solos. I know my 14m NRG can feel like a bit of a boat at times and I'm hoping to be out riding at 10 knots on a 138 tt (180lbs) which I think should be doable from the responses on here.

Return to “Reviews”