Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Xenon Laluz 2015 132x40cm

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
jvg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Rilland,..
Favorite Beaches: Praia Do Cabedelo, Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
Ouddorp, Netherlands
Style: Big Airs, Kiteloops and some freestyle
Gear: Eleveight FS
Xenon Laluz 132x40 & Eleveight Curl 5'7
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xenon Laluz 2015 132x40cm

Postby jvg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Brand: Xenon
Type: Laluz
Size: 132x40cm
Year: 2015

FIRST IMPRESSION:

DESIGN: Personally, I really like the design this board, it’s a simple design but there are some minor details which make it look special, for example the structure on the top layer of the board.

THE FINISHING: When you take the board and it’s accessories out of the box, it immediately becomes clear that Xenon does look at minor details, for example the fin plates are color-matched to the design of the board. The finishing of the board is great and again you can see that they look at the minor details which give the board a clean look. There’s also a small cirkel where you can see the wood core and the carbon layer that they used for this board. The pads and straps also look great, you have 5 stance options on each side of the pad and several options to place the straps more to the front or the back of the pads.

SHAPE:
The Laluz has a pretty square outline. On the top you have grab rails on both sides that will make it easier to do board offs. And on the bottom you have a single concave in the middle that fades into a double concave near the tips which end in some small channels.

ON THE WATER

CONDITIONS: I tested the Laluz on a spot where you’ve got a small pool with perfectly flat water but you can also reach the sea where there was some chop. The wind was between 20-25 knots.

THE RIDE: It’s a very comfortable board, even in the chop it felt really smooth. It felt also really loose, but, if you need grip and you edge the board it holds its rail pretty good. Also going upwind isn’t a problem, due to it’s wide and straight outline and the channels, it goes upwind really good. It can go really fast if you want, that’s also great if you want to jump high. The Laluz feels really light and it has a lively feeling on the water.

JUMPS-LANDINGS/POP: The Laluz jumps quite good, because of it’s wide outline it has some decent pop and you can edge the board really hard before it looses control. The landings are also pretty smooth and if you land hard it still doesn’t hurt your knees and feels relatively soft. The flex in the tips really helps for the soft landings.

PADS AND STRAPS: The Xenon pads are some of the best I rode. The Naish Apex pads are in my opinion a bit better because they felt softer, but that’s personal preference.
The Straps are good and you can set them up pretty big, so if you have to ride with boots (in the winter) it won’t be a problem. The only drawback I found was that you can’t really adjust the angle of the straps because there’s only one strap and that’s made to adjust the height, however, you can place straps more to the toe side rail or more to the heel side rail. They are also really easy to install.

CONCLUSION: The Laluz Is a great allround/freestyle board. It has some decent pop which is nice for freestyle and jumps. And it won’t hurt your knees if you land a bit harder after a jump. In choppy conditions it’s still comfortable to ride as the thinner rails cut really nice trough the chop. If you are looking for a board that will boost your freestyle progression but still want a comfortable ride in rough conditions, I would certainly give this board a try.

BIGGER PICTURES: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rbegrjre8rlq ... -IKUa?dl=0

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uozQ4EbetqQ
This is a video of my first session on it.
Last edited by jvg on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Xenon Laluz 2015 132x40cm

Postby Laughingman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Additional notes from my experience

I have the 2014 version, love the board but I would change 3 things about it.
1. the straps that came with my board were too narrow even for my wife's feet. So we had to change them
2. The handle is cheap plastic, I took mine off as it seemed to devalue the board in my opinion
3. In comparison to other boards the Laluz is a bit surfy. It seems to really depend on the fins more and less on the edge. The thick/soft edge tends to not bite as well as other boards, I think this helps to absorb some of the chop.

jvg
Rare Poster
Ouddorp, Netherlands

Postby jvg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:54 pm

I had no problems with the straps actually. Even with boots it wasn't a problem.
I don't think the 2015 straps are different then the 2014's though. As far as I can see from the pictures at least.

Also I thought the opposite of what you were saying about the surfy feel. I thought it held it's rail really good and I could really edge hard to "depower" my kite. I rode on a 10m C4 2014 in 20-25 knots (I weigh 60kg) and I never use my depowerstrap unless I really need to.
And when I wanted to slide (to fakie) it did it very smooth and the fins didn't feel to make a problem of it. The 2015 fins are 4cm fins though and the 2014 were 5cm fins, maybe they changed the bottom shape of the board a bit this year? I don't own a 2014 Laluz so I can't compare.

I added a video to the review of my first session on it, but you can't really see much because I attached my gopro way to high :x.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:28 pm

I took a closer look at your pictures, there are definitely differences between my board and and the 2015.
It looks like the changed the shape of the rail a bit, my board is flat on top, no channels down the side so the board is thick to the edge and then rounded over, your seems to be a bit sharper there.

Now I'm excited to try it.

jvg
Rare Poster
Ouddorp, Netherlands

Postby jvg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Maybe that could be difference indeed.

If you want to see bigger pictures to compare it better, I uploaded some to dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rbegrjre8rlq ... -IKUa?dl=0

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks

yes there is definitely a difference in rail thickness, it looks on your pictures that your rail is 6mm thick in the middle and the 2014 is 10mm - 12mm
Is this still a wood core board?

I can say the straps look identical and they do look narrow, the ones that came with my board gave us blisters on the side/tops of our feet just behind the baby toe.

jvg
Rare Poster
Ouddorp, Netherlands

Postby jvg » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Yes it's still a wood core board with a carbon layer to add strength. It's the same construction as a 2014 board if I'm correct.

I hope I don't get these problems with the straps then, but I tried them with and without boots and so far I had no problems like that and I have size EU42 (UK8). As I said the only small drawback I noticed was that you can't adjust the angle of the straps like with the North entity and Naish Apex straps. But it didn't really bother me that much while I was riding the board actually.

igoryak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby igoryak » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:01 pm

laluz 2014's rail is also thin the whole length of the board, maybe you have the 2013 model, Laughingman?
I heared that 2015 has maybe slightly more rocker and smaller fins than the 2014

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 pm

igoryak wrote:laluz 2014's rail is also thin the whole length of the board, maybe you have the 2013 model, Laughingman?
I heared that 2015 has maybe slightly more rocker and smaller fins than the 2014
You are absolutely correct. Just looked up the invoice and it says 2013, seems I am confused.
So now looking forward to trying the 2014/2015.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Nice review! I have a 2013 and love the board as it's kind on my knees when landing and handles the chop (no spray) quite well. Only complaint is the lack of grip when edging like you get with a CrazyFly Raptor and I suspect it has to do with the thicker rounded rails on my 2013. The 2015 board may solve for this - can't wait to try it out.

Return to “Reviews”