Style: strapless, wakestyle
Gear: North Dice & Vegas, Xenon Quadra and HOP
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xenon HOP - wakestyle

Postby staryhavaj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Xenon HOP 141x43

Since I ride more wakeboarding than kitesurfing I decided to go for a board with boots this year. I tried a few before, but both of them ended with inserts ripped (I weigh about 88 kg) Looking for the new board I found the new board in Xenon range - the HOP. I always enjoyed their graphics and attention to detail. What made me decide was the warranty for the inserts to work with boots.

ImageImage

As you can see it is a pretty simple shape with some great working channels. The fins are 28mm so not to big to get in the way. Details - you get a special washer for each screw, and the fins match perfectly with the board, what with rocker this big is not so obvious.

ImageImage

The edge is pretty sharp, so the unhooked riding is really controlled. Thanks to the big rocker the landings are soft and easy. It also helps to rotate the board on the water. Going upwind is no problem (with fins). Even being overpowered the board holds the edge nicely so no problem with taking a bigger kite to go more radical. The board has a grind base and as you can see after two weeks of riding it over the beach made only little marks. Haven't tried it in a wakepark yet, but I hope to try it there. The producer says you can fix the grind base just as any snowboard. Hope not to have to try it out, but if so, it sounds good to have that option. Totally the board is pretty light so less hurt for my knees and easier rotations and hpasses.

ImageImage

As for now I am really happy with my choice. The board looks great and performs as hell. I used to ride stiffer boards, but I am suprised to see that with this rocker I get similar pop. Season will show how the inserts and grind base hold. I hope for the best and if not, hope the warranty works fast to get me a new one. For anyone who wants a nice, not China made, wakestyle board, Xenon HOP is worth trying.

yaniv
Rare Poster

Re: Xenon HOP - wakestyle

Postby yaniv » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:36 pm

I tried this board a few days ago, conditions were side-shore about 17-20 kts, with knee high kickers.
It was great, smooth landings to all the low-kite pops on the incoming waves.
I don't ride with boots usually, so I can't compare to other boards, but it was a really nice experience.
I would love to take it for another ride.

orlen
Rare Poster
Gear: ........

Postby orlen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:04 am

I've been riding this board two weeks in various conditions, here's my few impressions:

that was my first time with boots and first days were quite challenging due to conditions which have been changing with huge pace.
since im not highly experienced rider as I have just around 30days on kite (im more in wake) I was quite surprised HOP allowed me to ride in really low wind conditions with 12meter radar from cabrinha. Eventhough the wind kicked in up to +30 knots I was still able to hold the edge.
I remember the other day where other guys had to ride 11meter kites I managed to have a session on my 9m Chaos.

on the other hand HOP's performance when I was overpowered (reeeeaaalllly overpowered) was impressive too, this board holds your edge like a train, releasing and pop is piece of cake even in choppy water.

My good friend who has a lot more experience in kiting was saying I will struggle with going upwing due to huge rocker, but he wasnt right, this board is taking you where you want to be.

the only thing i would complains is it could be a bit lighter, but it's solid stuff.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:36 pm

how big is the rocker? doesn't look like much from the pics.

staryhavaj
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Prasonisi, Rhodes
Favorite Beaches: Praso, Paracuru
Style: strapless, wakestyle
Gear: North Dice & Vegas, Xenon Quadra and HOP

Postby staryhavaj » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 am

Mine has 6 cm - measuring on flat, top layer of the tip to the ground

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:02 pm

staryhavaj wrote:Mine has 6 cm - measuring on flat, top layer of the tip to the ground
wow that's a lot, doesn't look like it at all from the pics. Like a Tona Flow I guess

Tnx for the info.

Return to “Reviews”