Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ride Engine Harness

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Ride Engine Harness

Postby Laughingman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:23 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Rbgar wrote:I'm deff getting one as soon as I can try a XL on, suggest a add on clip so std bars could be used as some have bars they have customized?
Yeah, it'd be nice if we could use this harness with our own bars. I get why they did it (the quick disconnect), though. Sometimes you have to change the paradigm to improve the performance...
Actually the interesting thing every custom harness I have seen has traditional straps etc...

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SalmonSlayer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Actually the interesting thing every custom harness I have seen has traditional straps etc...
My custom Engine has regular adjustment straps I use with Dakine hooks. I did have the option of choosing a different set up that was compatible with an Engine spreader bar.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:09 am

CaptainArgh wrote:
Rbgar wrote:I'm deff getting one as soon as I can try a XL on, suggest a add on clip so std bars could be used as some have bars they have customized?
Yeah, it'd be nice if we could use this harness with our own bars. I get why they did it (the quick disconnect), though. Sometimes you have to change the paradigm to improve the performance...
I saw a video on how to swap bars. I did notice there are adjustment straps. May be worth an email to find out if it's possible.

igoryak
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby igoryak » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:27 am

Nice marketing buzzword "collapsing".
spreader bars (and their sizing) are there to support harness's from collapsing and pinching. its funny how everybody suddenly showing how "collapsible" is a harness when squeezing it with 2 hands from the sides.

I hope this harness is really good, and I hope they get it overseas, as not trying rigid "anything" before buying is a big mistake imho.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:24 pm

igoryak wrote:Nice marketing buzzword "collapsing".
spreader bars (and their sizing) are there to support harness's from collapsing and pinching. its funny how everybody suddenly showing how "collapsible" is a harness when squeezing it with 2 hands from the sides.

I hope this harness is really good, and I hope they get it overseas, as not trying rigid "anything" before buying is a big mistake imho.
Yah you are missing the point. when a harness is soft or "collapsing" it takes the pull from your kite and tries to fold the harness, problem is you are in there so it squeezes in on the sides and that is regardless of the spreader bar as the spreader bar would have to be as wide as you at your widest point to effectively do the same thing.
Even if that was the case you still have a soft harness from that point around the back, so the pull is still not even distributed as the harness will eb and flow as you move your body. Creating pinch points etc.

I hope you get a chance to try one. Coleman made me one about 3 years ago and I would never ever go back to a soft "collapsing" harness again. EVER!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:32 pm

... they still ride up though, don't they?

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Does anyone know if RE still offers the custom lumbar option?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Kamikuza wrote:... they still ride up though, don't they?

Not generally, if I get yarded it might move 1/2" or something and because the spreader bar is built into a pocket it also cannot rotate up.
Now mine is custom fit to me so I am sure that helps but there is quite a bit of lumbar in the production run ones as well and really that is why they don't move.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:50 pm

pixelpedro wrote:Does anyone know if RE still offers the custom lumbar option?
last I heard he was trying to adapt to the soft finishings of the production model so they look more alike. But he has a lot of pro riders who love their custom fit harnesses so I bet he will be offering them again sooner then later.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Laughingman wrote:last I heard he was trying to adapt to the soft finishings of the production model so they look more alike. But he has a lot of pro riders who love their custom fit harnesses so I bet he will be offering them again sooner then later.
Tnx. :thumb:

Return to “Reviews”