Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Xensr vs Woo Sports

Postby davedej » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 pm

source:
http://www.wetestkites.com/2016/01/29/x ... oo-sports/

Dave
We Test Kites
Wetestkites.com

Bad news. Although there are now two devices which can record your session, they are not the same. And we are not referring to the extra capabilities due to the GPS logging of the Xensr. No, we are talking just about one thing: measuring the height of your jumps.

With the arrival of the new Xensr the main question is can we compare the WOO and the Xensr? Since the competition is full on -and heating up due to events like the KOTA– on the WOO leader boards it is interesting to see if we can have a combined or comparable leader board.

The answer is NO. There are a couple of reasons, and we will try to describe the most important ones. One of the things which is really, really hard for both devices (as described in our one WOO compared to a second WOO review) is not to report any spikes or suspicious data; rather have one doubtful registration deleted than to see a jump of 30 meters while there was no jump at all. At this point one of the two devices has suspicious -and there for game ruining -data. In our test the highest jumps where not at the same moment, we found a medium correlation, including an offset and on top of all a lot of jumps (up to 40% at one sensor) are not registered at all.

Test details

We tested one WOO to one Xensr for almost 2 hours in one session. Of the around 120 jumps we deleted all jumps under 5m and only compared jumps within 5 seconds. This left us with 30 jumps which can be compared. The correlation graph shows that the R2 (which should be really close to 1) is only 0.6. The correlation gets better when adding a constant (so in our test with a lot of waves about 2 to 3 meters and used as a kicker for most jumps). This gives a relation of: WOO=0.54*Xensr + 2.8m but still with a questionable R2 of 0.84 (we would call that a medium correlation). So if you see a Xensr score of 15 meters a WOO will report (in wave conditions similar as ours) around 11m.Height graph correct

Suspicious data where found at 2 occasions at the Xensr. One is when we had a jump of 15.1m, flying 5.9 seconds at 13:04. Suspicious is that it adds a jump directly connected at 13:10 of just 3m but with a relative big air time of 5.8. This -highest on the Xensr- jump is not recorded on the WOO at all. The second jump at 13:10 wasn’t there for sure (it was just a turn). WOO explains that it may have been a very smooth landing and too difficult for the WOO to register. Both sensors probably failed here, but at least the second jump on the Xensr is incorrect and may have affected the reading of the first. The GPS log (see screenshot) does implicate that a substantial jump was made at this point.

The second moment a suspicious reading of the Xensr was displayed was that of an in house (non moving) moment. The device was turned on and off and recorded a false jump of 27m. Of course a honest rider will just delete is, but someone eager to get high in some sort of leader board will use these data.

Both devices missed a lot of jumps, even just focusing at 5m and higher. The WOO missed around 7 and the Xensr around 18 jumps and both devices record and store a lot of jumps in the 2 to 5 meter range which are to random (in time) to compare and in our opinion are useless to store.no jumps Xensr

We know two devices of each sensor for this test would have been a lot more useful (although we did already compare two WOO’s), but we rather answered the many questions we got ASAP instead of waiting for a chance to have two of both sensors. Also the statistics could have been better (for the hardcore statistical dude’s among us we agree an orthogonal regression should have been applied but this doesn't change the conclusions).

Software

This test is not a comparing of the functions both devices may have, but just on the height data. At a later stage we will get back on more details like the air time, g-force and usability for other sports. At this point we hope both company’s (WOO already reacted and does see some points of improvement and acknowledge for example the conservative interpretation of suspicious readings and possible influence of adding a wave in the height displayed) will take note of our findings and may update there software. In our opinion things can improve and may end up in fair and comparable height measurements, but still needs a lot of attention, especially on the sensor reading in the Xensr.

List prices

Xensr 249,- Euro

WOO Sports 199,- Euro

Woo sports reacted by Skyped and delivered data, Xensr did not respond on request.
Attachments
Height graph correct.png

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1

Re: Xensr vs Woo Sports

Postby davedej » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:32 pm

We added a review with air time and G force.
http://www.wetestkites.com/2016/01/30/x ... d-g-force/

Dave
We Test Kites

danielkeder
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Neusiedler
Favorite Beaches: Neusiedler, Asilah (Oman)
Gear: ozone catalyst
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby danielkeder » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:45 pm

good review! Thanks!!!

I'd say a must-read before anyone shells out 200-250 for these. I'd actually make it mandatory for both Xensr and Woo manufacturers have their customers read and certify with their signature that they know they are buying something so unreliable.

My conclusion is, that reliability of both sports trackers is very bad with WOO being bad, XENSR terrible. Would this be an accurate statement given the fact you've had quite some time with both devices?

davedej
Medium Poster
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your compliment and your question.

That is a bit over the top.
Woo to Woo is good enough for fair competitions, so "being bad" isn't what I would say.
For example in the UK they will do a national jump height competition as I have read.

Xensr is delivering almost every month a new software version, which could solve the problems. Problem is they are less cooperative in doing tests and so I can't be sure how it will turn out. On paper a Xensr has much more potential, since it has way more features. "questionable at the moment" would be a nice wording for it.
Dave
We Test Kites

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby dksurfer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Great review Dave. I love your scientific approach!

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:53 pm

I did a huge jump about 20 meters in 45kn+ wind with a 7m..Friends from outside went cheering like crazy and they where waiting for the recording from woo...results 5,5 m jump 6,7 sec air time!!!WOO sucks .i m happy i lost it in the next session same day .....so i will not kill myself trying to boost higher and higher cause of a stupid device...

davedej
Medium Poster
Canos de meca Spain
Ride clash 140 2.1

Postby davedej » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:00 pm

@nikalaitzian I am not going to defend Woo,
but they somehow are (very) careful in showing data the device is "doubting about". This happens quite often if you make soft landings. Probably the jump you made (which I guess would be closer to 10 meters than 20) is not the same as the one you are talking about. So make sure you land rough, so the Woo (and the Xensr) know the jump is finished :)
In my opinion you cannot judge a device on one occasion with just one example. I work with data for my profession and it is just a bit rude to say something sucks based on that.
Dave
We Test Kites

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks for doing this study and sharing the results.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:16 pm

i landed very rough!!!!i ussualy megaloop at 10m...i also have a frame photo from my go pro ... check the windsurfer under me ... download/file.php?mode=view&id=71863
Attachments
75067_10151311305821698_2138613628_n.jpg

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Looking at this picture I am with Nika.
This is in my humble opinion closer to 20 than to 10m...

Return to “Reviews”