Rare Poster
Style: Free ride
Gear: Ozone Edge and Crazyfly Twintip
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boost vs Edge

Postby Pontoonpete » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:55 am

Hi, I've been kiting since 2010 and I've been flying Ozone Edges for the last three years. I really like the Edges and every time I try any other kite I'm disappointed. It's time for a new quiver and I was just going replace my Edges with newer ones but the Flysurfer Boost keeps jumping into my mind. The Edge already has a great wind range but the boost looks like it has a larger one and from what I've read it turns faster and loops better. If there's a kite out there that is similar to the Edge but turns faster and has an even bigger wind range and still jumps just as high with the same hang time then that's the kite I want. I'm hoping there's someone out there that can give me a detailed comparison of the two. Thanks :D

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: Boost vs Edge

Postby lindseym » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:50 am

Hello,
I am curious about the Boost as well. Here's an alternative direction for you to explore, the Roca by Best. Here's my story with the Roca.
- I swore I would never ride Best. In fact, one of my good friends was sold Best a few years back and was desperate to get me on them. I simply would not do it. I had heard bad things about their quality control and I thought their kites flew "so so"...nothing special. I was a pure North rider.
- a friend of mine down in the Keys was killing it on the Woo. He is a Best rider and was getting really impressive scores (top 10 in US) using his Roca kite. Additionally, another friend (super picky kiter) demo'd them one day and put in a full order for a quiver. That night he called me and told me I have to try them.
- So, a few days later I reluctantly tried a Roca kite. That session changed everything for me. I have never been on a kite with this type of hangtime. I haven't been on the Edge in awhile but i know this is very similar.

A few things to keep in mind with the Roca
- Its a 3 strut kite...meaning that it's stable but can easily be choked out when looping and you want to keep it moving. I loop it a little sooner on my tricks
- I'm not too wild about their inflation. North is 50x better. Same goes for their bar. But both do the job and the kite makes up for any ancillary stuff like that.
- If you go to Best's website disregard what they have indicated on the kite stats - see http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/en-us/2016-roca (bottom of page). They have the jumping ability as 6 and turning speed as 10. I'd probably give the turning speed an 8.5 and the jumping a 10.
- If you are used to light bar pressure the Roca is good. I have found it to be the absolutely perfect amount of bar pressure.
- I tried using my North bar with the Roca and it didn't feel right. Use the Best bar.

Above all - demo before you buy. In my opinion the Roca is a boosting freeride kite. What it does, it does well, but not everyone will like it.
Let us know how you make out.

Return to “Reviews”