Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Independent review North Click bar

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:15 am

MacG wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:02 pm
This is a kook's review of the new North Click bar.

I had a great 4 reaches using my new 8m North Neo and North click bar yesterday. I loved how clean the bar was and quickly embraced the click system. I felt dialed in gusty 30-40miles/hr wind.

That was until my chicken loop decided to release because of a huge user error on my part

After re-assuring a friend I was OK I yarded the safety line in and reset my bar only to have it pre-release again.

This time my kite started looping around and some primitive instinct took over and I accidentally released the secondary release.

After a long swim and multiple other kiters herculean efforts my gear was rescued and my ego was only bruised.

Please do NOT make my kook's mistake. You can set up the click bar wrong and still make your jibes.

BAD:
IMG_1888.JPG
fyp

MacG
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wabamun
U of A farm
Favorite Beaches: White Salmon Bridge
Manzanita
Tofino
Kanaha
Key West
Style: Snowkite; Freeride; Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus - 8, 12, 18m
Flysurfer Speed 5 - 6m
North Wham 5'7"
Slingshot 54" Dwarfcraft / Hover Glide NF2 foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby MacG » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:18 pm

The intention of my post was to discuss a near miss situation in an attempt to prevent similar errors in the future.

When bad things happen (like plane crashes, surgeons amputating the incorrect limb or fellow kites get hurt / lose their gear) it is generally due to a combination of human errors and system errors.

By incorrectly securing my CL I made a huge human error. DON'T DO THIS!!!

The fact that North has a well tested CL that can be secured 2 different ways and ridden 4 reaches before the error is discovered is a system error. The bar needs to be changed or new users need to be warned about this problem.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:54 pm

'Geez I wonder where that metal lever inside the QR is for?'

North can change the QR all they want, fact is there will always be someone that manages to screw it up...

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:19 pm

The North Iron heart is the best and easiest QR system I know of, and is really easy to reset. I'm not sure how it could be any better. You had to try very hard to get it that wrong and not notice!

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:34 pm

I was curious and tried to repeat this on my Iron Heart IV QR, and I can see how it happens. All you have to do is have the lever already closed, place the chicken loop on top of the closed lever, and let the cuff slide down. About one in four times the cuff clasps the chicken loop tightly and the system seems secure. Only indication that anything is wrong is that the cuff is not fully seated.

Not saying that an informed individual should make the mistake, but given that I have developed such a strong liking for this QR, I likely would have trusted it if I got it to appear to clip down after resetting it in the water. Basically, without this informative post, I can foresee having reset the QR in foamy surf, not noticed the chicken loop was on top of the QR lever instead of below it, and continued riding. I work in aviation, and when we see an issue the can be prevented by design instead of training, you push for design.

I can certainly see a simple improvement for the Iron Heart VI: Make the QR cuff opaque black plastic (Versus the current translucent red), and make the underlying body which is normally covered by the QR cuff red. That way if you make this mistake there will be a red band visible since the cuff is not fully seated.

Makes me want to play with the new Cabrinha QR again to see if it has a similar problem. In my dealing with it so far it seemed pretty similar to the Iron Heart IV except that it was more automatic: The cuff stays up when pushed away and you did not need to engage the lever with your thumb before closing the cuff. Seemed like a refined Iron Heart design. I do not like the PU cover depower line though, as an unrelated personal observation.

Thanks for the report! I know I am happy to hear about something that can save me some trouble, especially with a product I had total faith in.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:52 am

I also think the Iron Heart is the best setup i have own. I have slingshot, flysurfer, naish and, cabrinha. Every year manufacture come up with new gear so is impossible to ride the best because they are so expensive. You can buy a used motorcycle or a car for the price they ask for the control bar

Return to “Reviews”