Style: Wavekiting
Gear: F-one Signature 5.10, Cabrinha Skillet 5.6
Core GTS2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spleene Zone 5,6 from 2017

Postby henningsurf » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Earlier this year I purchased the Spleene Zone 5,6 wave board, which is a directional but constructed like a TT board. This board has of course very little volume and is maybe not the first choice for light wind, but when powered nicely with kites from 12 m and less it really allows some nice ripping in waves.
Compared to normal kite boards with foam core you need to adjust your style a bit, but already after the second session I have been able to get used to it.
- Radical wave riding in medium to larger waves is a blast
- The board flex makes it easy to pass smaller chops on a bigger wave with enormous speed and staying in control.
- In smaller waves the board is fun too, just your kite is powered fine.
- Have had some hard landings after kite loops, which would have been hard on usual foam kiteboards. Have done 15 m big jumps and its nice, that even rough landings sometimes are no problem for the board.

This is a very recommendable board concept, tough built and maybe Spleene will come up with a larger version, so light wind also is possible and heavier guys can enjoy this board type too.
Have fun out there.
Henning, Cold Hawaii, Denmark
Attachments
IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Spleene Zone 5,6 from 2017

Postby norcom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 am

henningsurf wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:18 pm
maybe Spleene will come up with a larger version, so light wind also is possible and heavier guys can enjoy this board type too.
They did, it's called the Spleene Surf Door.
I have the original Spleene Zone, the new 5'6 and the Surf Door 5'7. The 5'6 is my all time favorite board.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:56 am

norcom wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 am

I have the original Spleene Zone, the new 5'6 and the Surf Door 5'7. The 5'6 is my all time favorite board.
I have an original spleene Zone 5'2 (159 from 2007) and love it. Like a finned skim only better.

I gather the new 5'6" is better in waves though.

Can you elaborate on the 5'6" compared to the original zone . . . is it much heavier? Carve better? . . . ?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 pm

max wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:56 am
norcom wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 am

I have an original spleene Zone 5'2 (159 from 2007) and love it. Like a finned skim only better.

I gather the new 5'6" is better in waves though.

Can you elaborate on the 5'6" compared to the original zone . . . is it much heavier? Carve better? . . . ?
The original Zone (my 5'7) is a lot flexier than the new 5'6. The flex is VERY noticeable on the original after riding the new one. The flex is nice on the knees but after riding the new Zone for a year or two, I wouldn't go back to it as my GO-TO board. Not sure about the 5'2 but I can picture the 5'7 nose flexing through the chop where as the new 5'6 is rock solid. The new 5'6 tracks much better and even in lighter winds I can get upwind easier than on volume boards; unless it's super light and I'm on a VERY big surfboard. Digging the rail with the board length works really well and I would say the stiffness adds to its upwind ability. The new Zone is a definitely heavier to the original but it's not an anchor. The full EVA deck is awesome. I think the stiffness ads to its carving ability and the thruster setup is much more playful than the quad.

I can compare the new Surf Door 5'7 to my Monster Door TT. They're very similar in their low end but I think the Monster goes a little lower. The Surf Door is a more playful and easier to boost and throw around. I think due to a little more rocker the Surf doesn't stick to the water like the Monster. I feel like the 5'7 Surf Door is a little big for me, kind of wish I went for the 5'4 or maybe the 5'1.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am

norcom wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 pm

The original Zone (my 5'7) is a lot flexier than the new 5'6. The flex is VERY noticeable on the original after riding the new one. The flex is nice on the knees but after riding the new Zone for a year or two, I wouldn't go back to it as my GO-TO board. Not sure about the 5'2 but I can picture the 5'7 nose flexing through the chop where as the new 5'6 is rock solid. The new 5'6 tracks much better and even in lighter winds I can get upwind easier than on volume boards; unless it's super light and I'm on a VERY big surfboard. Digging the rail with the board length works really well and I would say the stiffness adds to its upwind ability. The new Zone is a definitely heavier to the original but it's not an anchor. The full EVA deck is awesome. I think the stiffness ads to its carving ability and the thruster setup is much more playful than the quad.

I can compare the new Surf Door 5'7 to my Monster Door TT. They're very similar in their low end but I think the Monster goes a little lower. The Surf Door is a more playful and easier to boost and throw around. I think due to a little more rocker the Surf doesn't stick to the water like the Monster. I feel like the 5'7 Surf Door is a little big for me, kind of wish I went for the 5'4 or maybe the 5'1.

yep . . . i had the bigger Zone 174 (4 fins) and it was super flexy. Have to say that I did not like it very much compared to the little 3 fin zone so I ended up selling it. The 159 has no nose flex by comparison to the 174.

Spleene do not seem to sell the 5'3 and 5'6 anymore. Just the odd shaped new ones.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm

max wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am

Spleene do not seem to sell the 5'3 and 5'6 anymore. Just the odd shaped new ones.
They're still showing them on their website, so I don't think they're discontinued yet.

What I've been wondering is how the Nobile Infinity compares to the Zone. They're very similar designs except the Infinity is 5'9. Looking at the Nobile website it doesn't look like they're making them in the non-split version anymore. I think a carbon Zone would be cool.

Return to “Reviews”