Local Beach: Plumb beach
Favorite Beaches: Plumb beach, Oak beach
Gear: nobile, best, f-one
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best kite - not so best

Postby _vn_ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

I've used Fone for a while and after trying best Roca I decided to switch to it thinking that build quality has improved - was that a mistake!

I purchased barely used 2016 12m roca and unused 2015 bar with it.
After barely using the bar - stopper came off, it was the one they glued together so I contacted Best and they sent me one free of charge. Maybe on the 8-10th session i noticed that red plastic bar cuff (quick release cover) is cracked - and here fun part begins.
I contacted Best again and i got this :

I understant that you have problems with the quick release cover
Please notice that warranty applies only to Best products purchased from Authorized Best Dealer or www.bestkiteboarding.com and is valid for the original purchaser only if registered latest 30 days after purchase.
Can you please send to me the invoice and the email address you used to register the product.
If we cant apply this case as warranty, I can advice you to buy this product to repair the quick release.

Now, I don't know a single person who after buying registers their products, neither have I.
What I do know that large number of respectful manufacturers stand behind their product, for instance when my original Fone bar handles delaminated they replaced with newer model of the bar no questions asked about place or time of purchase - who cares, you made it, it broke, sorry for inconvenience it caused you.

After I expressed my thoughts about this to warranty department, reluctantly they offered to replace part for free, however asking me to wire 18$ for shipping.
This is the part http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/en-us/bar-cuff-on it probably weights 4-5 ounces, and 18$ is not for overnight shipping also. And yes, WIRE money, the whole $18 - got forbid they take a credit card or paypal with 3% charge.

I understand perhaps making such call not to replace for free on a wear and tear part - but this cover isn't, unless u're releasing your kite constantly, which I have not done once.
This was never about the money, the part as you can see is only $25 - its about how they treat customers.
Yes I did purchase bar second hand if you can call it that, and yes I don't have proof except email from person whom i bought it from and picture that show bar having tags on it, but really Best ? Best at what exactly?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Re: Best kite - not so best

Postby Faxie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Yup, that's one of the reasons why it's a dying company....

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 pm

The QRs Best used before they switched to the Iron Heart were pretty terrible. Of the eight kites and six bars I have purchased from Best over the years, I only had issues with the 2013-2015 bars, and then only the QRs. Even the old bar that came with my 2006 Waroo had me feeling more comfortable. There are guys who have good luck with them though, or maybe there are just a few guys who have bad luck. I know Jerome on these forums uses a bar from that era and does well, and some relatives of mine in Cape Town have good luck with their bars from that era.

Still, the kites are awesome, and the Iron Heart release is pretty fantastic in comparison.

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m

Postby coffeeking » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 pm

If I bought a kite new, I'd register it.

If I bought a kite second hand, I'd accept it had risk.

If I bought a kite second hand and got a free bar, I'd accept I had got something for nothing when I got the second bar and it needed something replacing at my cost.

I really don't see the complaint.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 am

Well yes 2015 gear second hand, thats 3 year old gear now as brands have their 2018 comping out... But true the customer service have fallen a lot since the top days... Unfortunately. All the guys with focus on service have left... Pure Actionsport, got closed in Spain, but use a different company in Germany these days so still have to follow EU law, which say 2 year warranty. But I agree second hand... well buy new gear rather...
But really the issue is making such a part. Not the bar designers fault. It´s the owner. They should not have put pressure on releasing something when the designer say they don´t have it ready. The "boys need new toys" strategy, always changing something just to have something new to hype, was criticized by all dealers and also people working there. And now without anyone that know kites, any designer...

_vn_
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb beach
Favorite Beaches: Plumb beach, Oak beach
Gear: nobile, best, f-one

Postby _vn_ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:41 pm

1. point is that bar was purchased, and yes, didn't come "free", brand new, unopened, and started falling apart in under 10 sessions. could it somehow "age" in its factory packaging just because its 2 years old?
2. $25 non wear part should have gotten replaced with "thank you" and "very sorry"
3. making money on shipping and creating complication in transferring money is just petty and shows the class, or lack of.
4. denying warranty just for not registering and purchasing NOT from their "authorized dealer" tells u the quality isn't there.

anyhow, guess will have to go back to Fone

Return to “Reviews”