OntarioKite
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha mostly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shinn Monk 2017

Postby OntarioKite » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Wondering if anyone can provide some feedback positive and/or negative on the 2017 version of the Shinn Monk? Hard to find any reviews online about it. How does it compare to previous years?

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Re: Shinn Monk 2017

Postby Lokihel » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:06 am

Very much the same as the 2016 Monk, no radical changes.

The footstraps and handle have been upgraded, which is likely the most noticeable difference other than the graphics.

OntarioKite
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha mostly

Postby OntarioKite » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks Lokihel. I recently had a great session on a borrowed 2014 Monk and loved it. Great for locking an edge in chop, even when somewhat overpowered with my kite. Allowed me to boost higher than usual too with the awesome edge control. I have gone and purchased a 2017 Monk and waiting for another windy day to try it. I just wonder if it is similar to the 2014 or different since I've heard about someone returning their 2015 Monk and complaining that it wasn't the same as the 2014. The only significant difference I can see when holding the 2014 and 2017 models next to each other is a small and smooth concave down the length of the bottom of the 2017. Hard to notice unless you run the palm of your hand down the board. I guess maybe this helps a bit with lower end grip? Otherwise shape is quite similar, flex doesn't feel different and the rocker looks the same to me.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:09 pm

I used to go through boards like diapers at a nursing home till I bought a Monk. My 137x44 is my go to for everything and I have a smaller one for nuking days.. mine are both 2016..
Great board for chop, waves, and 56 year old knees. Also by far the lightest board I have ever owned. My friends are always bitching about the chop and It just never seems to bother me.

Return to “Reviews”