Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Core XR5 19.0 Review

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 am

During the world cup in Germany I had the chance to test the new Core XR5 19.0.

As I am used to big kites I wanted to see how good their latest kite is.

We had wind with about 12-18 knots. I have 97 kg and a 128x38 board.

I was able to go upwind without any problem.

The kite feels light on the bar and turns very well for a 19.0 sqm kite.

It has an excellent hangtime that brings you down soft. The lift is also good, got some sweet jumps.

For me personally the kite steers too fast and the bar feedback is not enough for me to do my Airstyle tricks.
But I am special from what I need from a kite.

If you are looking for a big kite, that turns fast for its size and just want to cruise along with some sweet jumps, the Core XR5 19.0 is a good choice for you.

I was riding in shallow waters, so cannot comment on its relaunch.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Core XR5 19.0 Review

Postby Lokihel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 am

Is this more a big kite aimed at heavier riders, or is the size really to squeeze the low end?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:52 pm

My Rebel 2015 18.0 has less low end.

I think the Core can be handled by a lighter person too to have fun in light wind. But depends on the weight maybe for a lighter person the 17.0 will be sufficient already.

Hard to say, test if you can.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby baxterbradford » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Did you try the different steering line positions on the tips to slow down the turning? I have the Core 17m Free and noticed a big difference in response when I moved rear lines. Different bridle positions on front line offer adjustment of bar feedback, not tried this yet. Have 9, 11 & 13.5m XR5s which I'm keen to use.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:17 pm

There’s a pretty big jump from my 19m down to my 12m and I considered going for a 6-9-11-13.5 quiver, but trying the 19m at their HQ made me go 6-9-12-19 instead. All the sizes in range are so versatile, the 6m just parks in 30+ knots and the 19m turns better than any large kite I know of, and the wind range on all of them is stellar.

First, I’d say that the most impressive bit is the fact that I have just as much fun (on the same bar!) battling the wind on the 6m as I do working the 19m in 8 or 9 knots. I do not understand how Core manages to accomplish this and it is what I hear from other users as well, but i’m impressed and grateful that they have. Once wind speed gets up past 14 knots on my 19m things get really interesting and I haven’t gone to the 20 knot max yet, that Core states. I live in an area with quite gusty conditions once the average ticks above 18 knots and I don’t feel completely familiar with my entire quiver just yet. But in 10-14 knots I’m like the fat guy on the disco floor that no one can keep up with, when I come cruising by. It’s great! While the 19m is not that much fun to throw around (it is after all a very big kite) I really cannot emphasise just how much fun I’ve had this summer during sunny days with seemingly no wind, mostly because I get the beach all to myself. I get going in as little as 8 knots and I’m on a 144x43 all-round (not a LW!) board.

With respect to turning speed and bar feel: both tips and bridle have settings that I hope those who demo play around with as much as possible. IT HAS A DRAMATIC EFFECT ON TURNING SPEED AND BAR PRESSURE IN EITHER DIRECTION. The XR5 (or the Sensor bar for that matter) is not a kite you instantly fall in love with after an hour or two of riding at demo. I honestly don’t know of a kite that manages to do that unless you’re a complete imbecile who buys into the marketing talk. You should get to know it over the course of AT LEAST 2 sessions because it really rewards you when you’ve put some work into it. I can guarantee that.

I sold off all my bruised old gear and spent about 6 years worth of kite savings to do a full upgrade. I spent months doing my homework with the obvious fear that I might waste all my hard earned cash, so I’m very interested to see and hear from other users because I do feel like an annoying fanboy talking about this kite. Is it just me? I try my best to leave ego and confirmation bias at home and just let the gear do the talking, and honestly, I have nothing bad to say about it. It’s that simple. I’m set for years to come with this quiver..

Return to “Reviews”