Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Concept X Ruler Spilt board - Review

Postby badgb21 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 pm

I finally took the plunge after weeks of looking around to get a split board.
I have travelled with gear for many years and I have found a full-size bag can be a pain, especially with coach car park transfers, taxis, car rental etc.
Also, my wife sometimes will take it ahead of me if travelling separately, (as she has the right coloured card!) And it can be cumbersome for her.

I wanted to deal with a retailer/producer that I could contact in the event of a problem, for me that means a physical address.
Some exist in the ‘ether’, which is fine for a main brand product, but for a specific board, that may need some spares (or worse) I wanted a solid point of reference.

I couldn’t find a lot in English about the Concept X Ruler split board, but managed to see a YouTube video with cc translation to make enough sense.
Then following some discussions with a retailer, I decided on a Ruler 140 X 44, based on a plan to use it with a 12m & 14m kites.
A strong solid board that truly splits in half with some good feedback and a good price.
Price was secondary as a 116Kg kiter I wanted a strong board primarily. I can use a screwdriver, so that wasn’t an issue.
In fact, I quite like sitting on a balcony assembling a board, the evening before – beer in hand!

The board arrived and I assembled it at home. I was most impressed by the level of precision and construction design.
The two true halves of the board butt together and a plate fixes from the top, this has 4 locating lugs and screws on both sides of the top only to secure it.
It is quite remarkable just how solid it feels when complete.
However, this comes at a price and that is 4.4Kg fully complete, incl. Concept pads/straps.
It feels well balanced but a lot heavier than I’m used to.
The 'fleck/streak' design in the green area of the board is a bit odd. I am assured this is intentional, though it would take a 'special person' to come up with the design!

Today I managed to try it, albeit a 14m underpowered day I was able to get a few runs and really feel it underfoot.
Firstly, it doesn’t come with a handle, which personally I think is a real PITA , I’ll be adding one very soon! I know, know….!
Straps and pads were very comfortable (I have size 47 feet).
I was immediately struck by the smoothness of the ride, it slid over the chop with ease, aided by the flat bottom and plentiful smooth rocker.
I didn’t notice the weight of the board on the water or any kind of flexing at all.
The wind was light at times and holding ground was difficult. (The kind of day I probably would not have bothered ordinarily).
Clearly the board needs power and isn’t a lightwind, upwind marvel, well for me at least!
No spray in the face was a real plus too. I didn’t jump it, but I’m sure it will prove adequate.
Generally, I am very pleased with it, compared to what I wanted.
To sum up, very Smooth.

I also opted for the Concept XL Split board bag, a luxury but hey, it’s Black Friday pricing!
One thing to note about this is,(The bag) it is advertised at 3.9Kg on Concepts website, in reality it weighs in at 4.5Kg,
Not the end of the world, but it may have made me shop around on Amazon for a lighter solution if I’d known. (I have compared my scales to known weights and believe they are accurate)
The rucksack strap and supporting rods will come out to make it lighter.

All in all, I am pleased with the gear and wanted to share as you don’t see many reviews for split boards other than Nobile ones that is.
Last edited by badgb21 on Tue May 04, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

plasma180
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Hydrofoil / Twintip / Wave / Wing
Gear: too much stuff
Brand Affiliation: Duotone / Flysurfer / Ozone

Re: Concept X Ruler Spilt board - Review

Postby plasma180 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Very nice, thank you.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rynhardt » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 am

They may have advertised the weight of the deck only, without pads.
Anyway there's nothing wrong with heavier boards. They ride differently from lighter boards.
Some of the smoothness of the ride is no doubt due to board's weight.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:14 am

Where do you see the weight of the board advertised?
I made no reference to it.

I do have an issue with the bag weight to what is advertised though.

Agree heavier board rides very well.

rynhardt wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:15 am
They may have advertised the weight of the deck only, without pads.
Anyway there's nothing wrong with heavier boards. They ride differently from lighter boards.
Some of the smoothness of the ride is no doubt due to board's weight.

Return to “Reviews”