Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
WMK Addict
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Smart Watch

Postby WMK Addict » Wed May 09, 2018 4:56 am

Surprised I couldn't find a topic dedicated to smart watches. Looking for recommendations. Looking for a marine or kite specific smart watch.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Re: Best Smart Watch

Postby foilonfoil » Wed May 09, 2018 5:24 am

Garmin Fenix/Quatix.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 am

Friend's "quote" on Garmin Fenix. Good on paper "it has everything" but in reality very limited with sport profiles, meaning getting *all* relevant kite-data is impossible. Yes you get GPS-speed or you get something else, but not at same time. This is due to sport profiles you need to choose before starting record and kite is not there or if it is it does not have barometer or something data. I leave a small disclaimer that if there is update on software on last 3 months then it could have improved and I am writing from memory what data he's expecting.

With generic Android Wear smartwatch with included GPS & IMU you could have kite specific smartwatch. Right now I am waiting if Xensr still publishes the same software as for Apple swatches (Xensr session) but it is unknown if Xenrs still exists for long. While waiting Xensr you can have GPS speed app, or Oruxmaps or Sportstracker or xxx or code-yourself at your watch. Or listen music over bluetooth to IP68-BT-headset.

Some even go nerdier and 3D print wrist mount for your water proof Android device and use normal phone sailing apps. But only use for sailing if sensitivity of screen can be changed because there will be water droplets.. Droplets also makes using touchscreen smartwatches difficult.

http://scottziv.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... C01030.jpg

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed May 09, 2018 7:16 am

I was looking for the same. Apparently Garmin doesn't work with Woo 3.0.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA

Postby foilonfoil » Wed May 09, 2018 5:24 pm

joriws wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 am
Friend's "quote" on Garmin Fenix. Good on paper "it has everything" but in reality very limited with sport profiles, meaning getting *all* relevant kite-data is impossible. Yes you get GPS-speed or you get something else, but not at same time. This is due to sport profiles you need to choose before starting record and kite is not there or if it is it does not have barometer or something data. I leave a small disclaimer that if there is update on software on last 3 months then it could have improved and I am writing from memory what data he's expecting.
Your friend needs to read the manual... Generic activities out of the box to cover most sports. For kiteboarding, you need to create a custom activity (mine is Kiting) and you choose what you want displayed and how to display it. Everything displayed can be customized.

- First off, deleted many of the default/unused activities so I have only 5 or so activities to choose from including the FindMyPhone.
- I set my Kiting activity for three screens and to automatically rotate between the screens every second.
- First screen is one field showing speed so its big.
- Second screen two fields showing distance covered and elapsed time.
- Third screen is two fields showing time of day and gps location.
- Speed alerts set at 30Mph+ so I get a beep/buzz as I am working on new speed targets.
- As I am about to walk into the water, three quick clicks of the top right button... 1. Activities and defaults to the last activity selected... 2. Selects my activity Kiting since that is my most frequent/last one used. 3. Start GPS. If you alternate between various activities, after the first click you would have to pause to ensure Kiting is highlighted, and if not, highlight the correct activity with up/down buttons on the left side of the watch .

The Garmins have exceptional battery life so normal wear the battery lasts close to two weeks without recharging, and with the gps recording active can last 3-4 sessions. As soon as I open the Garmin Connect App on my phone, all watch data including tracklogs are automatically uploaded. I recently purchased an Android wear device and found battery life to be awful.

Garmin Fenix/Quatix sensors include GOS/GLASNOS/Barometer/Temperature/Heart Rate. GPS/Barometer are poor for short/quick changes in elevation such as jumping. If tracking your jumps is something that you want, you are better off with a device that includes hardware accelerometers and software optimized for tracking transitions such as a WOO.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed May 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Any specific version of Fenix or Quatix? I pretty much need to see speed while riding, and download track when back.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilonfoil » Wed May 09, 2018 7:42 pm

grigorib wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:37 pm
Any specific version of Fenix or Quatix? I pretty much need to see speed while riding, and download track when back.
Fenix/Quatix 2/3/5.. I'm using a 3 as the 5 is so similar to 3, I have yet to update... Create a custom activity and during this process, you can select the data you want to see during the activity. You could cram up to 4 fields onto one screen if you like. As I said above, I have removed many of the default activities from my favorites so I don't have to scroll down a massive list when selecting an activity to run. A single screen with speed only is simple to create.

One thing I did not mention is I use speed alerts in my Kiting activity which causes my unit to beep/shake when I hit say 34Mph and above, so when I an working on speed runs, I don't need to look at my wrist when I am attempting to hit new speed targets.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 79E8C.html

My Kite Activity...
IMG_3870.jpg
IMG_3870.jpg (147.6 KiB) Viewed 13756 times
Three screens that flip every second...
IMG_3874.jpg
IMG_3874.jpg (149.05 KiB) Viewed 13756 times
IMG_3873.jpg
IMG_3873.jpg (149.87 KiB) Viewed 13756 times
IMG_3872.jpg
IMG_3872.jpg (149.11 KiB) Viewed 13756 times
I created a new activity based on the above to fit on one screen...
IMG_3876.jpg
IMG_3876.jpg (112.63 KiB) Viewed 13752 times
These users thanked the author foilonfoil for the post:
golfaroo (Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu May 10, 2018 3:52 pm

How about Apple Watch? Does it do the job?

WMK Addict
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby WMK Addict » Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Thanks for the replies! Can you verify the Garmin will not work with woo 3.0?

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilonfoil » Thu May 17, 2018 5:11 pm

WMK Addict wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm
Thanks for the replies! Can you verify the Garmin will not work with woo 3.0?
https://docs.woosports.com/discuss/5ac7 ... 000362abb6

Return to “Reviews”