Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force Vortex CGA Kiteboarding Vest?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Wind Over Water
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force Vortex CGA Kiteboarding Vest?

Postby Wind Over Water » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Liquid Force Vortex Kite vest?
http://liquidforcekites.com/product/har ... rtex-kite/

I'm looking for a coast guard approved vest to use for kitesurfing and windsurfing. I think the LF Vortex Kite is the only kitesurfing vest that's CGA compliant. I haven't found any reviews or videos on this vest. Does anyone here know anything about this vest?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Liquid Force Vortex CGA Kiteboarding Vest?

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 pm

That one looks a lot like the Jetpilot wake vest I used ages ago when there were no better options. Has a lot of padding in the lower portions that just don't fit under a waist harness any more than a parka under pajamas. Like mentioned in the other thread, there are really no CGA or USCG approved vest that actually work with a waist harness. You would have to be happy with a seat harness if you insist on a vest with USCG or CGA approval.

I would prefer this LF option over the one you asked about, but I'm more worried about function than the certification.

http://liquidforcekites.com/product/har ... reme-vest/

Wind Over Water
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wind Over Water » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:46 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 pm
That one looks a lot like the Jetpilot wake vest I used ages ago when there were no better options. Has a lot of padding in the lower portions that just don't fit under a waist harness any more than a parka under pajamas. Like mentioned in the other thread, there are really no CGA or USCG approved vest that actually work with a waist harness. You would have to be happy with a seat harness if you insist on a vest with USCG or CGA approval.

I would prefer this LF option over the one you asked about, but I'm more worried about function than the certification.

http://liquidforcekites.com/product/har ... reme-vest/
Thanks jumptheshark!

Yes, I agree the CGA criteria isn't ideal. But the beaches near me have regular police patrol and we get fined ~$400 each time we are caught not wearing a CGA vest.

Is it possible to fit the waist harness under the vest? Based on this picture, I thought the LF Vortex is supposed to go over the waist harness.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Looks ok with the kite pulling the hook down, but when it pulls upward it pushes that style of harness upward so the shoulders are around your ear level and you have a crazy amount of PFD hunched on your upper back.

Return to “Reviews”