- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Pilot Bar

Postby Digdawg » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:22 am

Ocean Rodeo Pilot Bar

I don’t do a lot of reviews, but when I find something I’m really happy with and I think is worth sharing, I put it out there. I have owned the Ocean Rodeo Freestyle and Control bars. I have also had bars from several other companies; Epic, Slingshot and Ozone. I am very happy with the Ocean Rodeo Pilot bar! Before owning it I was always thinking, “I wish this bar just had….”

The Chicken loop on the Pilot bar is very clean with several nice features. When you press the release cuff to punch out it locks open, so resetting it is very intuitive and practical. You simply push the end of the chicken loop into the opening and it clicks closed. If the release cuff doesn’t lock open, simply hold it with the cuff oriented up while pushing the cuff up. This is required because the chicken loop locking pin uses gravity to set it in position to lock the cuff open. This is easy to observe, as the cuff is made of a see through plastic. Just practice it a few times before you have to do it on the water.

The lock in tube (chicken stick) is nice. I’ve seen a few people have false hooks and their kite ejected when they were launching. I've never had the problem myself, but I've seen a video produced by Ocean Rodeo with a simple fix to eliminate the potential for it to happen. The problem is the video is very hard to find. I saw a link to it, but cannot find the video anymore.? It’s a simple fix, just tightening the chicken loop and chicken stick.

Below the bar swivel works well.

When you get to the center lines is when things start to really shine. All the lines are inside the center tube, where on the older Control bar the flagging line ran outside the center and sometimes would go around the center tube a couple times, even when the front lines were untwisted. Never had a problem with kite not flagging when punched out on Control Bar, but I didn’t like the look of the flagging line around the center tube. The new setup eliminates this concern.

The pulley works well, but what I really appreciate is the velcro on the cleat to secure the trim line. The previous versions had an elastic core that would shorten the line a bit when trimmed in, but it didn’t take long for the elastic core to fail and the line would flop around and be very annoying. Small thing, but it’s something I was always hoping they would address. While the previous bar was very good, it’s the small things that make the Pilot Bar excellent.

Nice bar Ocean Rodeo!! Very happy with mine and would definitely recommend it. :thumb:

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Re: Re: Ocean Rodeo Pilot Bar

Postby clint2070 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 am

That is a nice bar !

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:03 am

Has identical parts to the Liquid Force Mission Control V2 (QR ,cleat ,safety inside PU depower line safety)
Would like to know if the PU depower line is also the same as the LF,which was too rigid and stiff and hard to sheet in/out when bar was at an angle? No back line adjustment of leaders? Bar does not look as good quality as LF.
These users thanked the author mar menor for the post:
Iridian (Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

wallydog
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barbwire beach
Favorite Beaches: Los Barriles and Gorge
Style: foil
Gear: Armstrong 1050. Slingshot SST and Airush ultras.

Postby wallydog » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 am

FYI Liquid Force did address the stiff PU material for the new 2020 V3 bar. Looks like a real nice bar also.
https://liquidforcekites.com/product/mi ... system-v3/
Did not mean to hi- jack. I think there are many nice bars out there now and Ocean Rodeo does it right.

Return to “Reviews”