Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Time to get all a kite license!

Postby kitesurfbali » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:01 pm

Dear friends,
I think time is come for everybody to get a license for kiting.
Schools and instructor are widely available everywhere and organization like IKO are now offering insurance for kiters.
Every kiter that is already self proficient can easily get an IKO level 3 card by
passing a written test and by demonstrating few riding skills:
Solo & assisted launching - Solo & Assisted landing - Riding upwind - self rescue.
This can be done quite easily like as is done for car license, and cost can be kept at a minimum as many rider can take an exam at the same time… just a nominal fee for the exam…
As I’m an IKO instructor I already start to receive request from people to give level 3 license.
This don’t have to be only an IKO things but any reputable kite organization can release a form of license for experienced kiters.

This will help in keeping control of the rapidly growing kite population and give some kind of legitimacy to kiters, also to help in keep beach access open to all of us…

In Bali where I ride and teach we ask to all people coming to our beach to sign a form where we explain the local rules of safety… if people don’t follow them we can ban them from launching at our local spot…

More kites companies are going direct to the customer using the Web, equipment is becoming more affordable! And with Internet sales anybody can
Buy kites etc. without knowing anything about the sport and endanger themselves and others.

By having a license, kite companies can require it at the time of purchasing
And this will at least guarantee that the buyer has some knowledge of the sport.

Please post what do you think about this.
Bye Jankie
http://www.bali-kitesurfing.org

PS. Toby will be a great idea to make a pool to see what' the common opinion....

:bye:

zgordoignite
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby zgordoignite » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:12 pm

While were at we should get licences for my bicycle, dirtbike, skateboard,snowmobiles,snowboardin the list could be endless. Too much control but I would do it in the event of a closure. Pretty lame to go to these measures to have fun.

buttercutter
Frequent Poster

Postby buttercutter » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:22 pm

I can think of a few people who would fail the parallel parking portion. :-?

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:38 pm

I was thinking about the same, but do windsurfers have/need a license?

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:39 pm

Zorgognite,
most of the beaches around LA in the summer are open to kitesurfer only after 18:00... and too many people are getting kite without any clew of what they are doing!! I witness beginner launching big kite in 25 knots of wind, dragging on bystander... And when you try to tell them something they I love you away....

With a kite you are dangerous to other not only to you, the choice here is to find a way to keep the beaches open..
A license and insurance is a good start.
Bye Jankie

MNmob
Rare Poster

Postby MNmob » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:10 am

Who and how could it possibly be inforced?

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:37 am

Yo,,,

I was just talking about this on the Wind Wing forum.

Who thinks it's rookies getting wacked??

NOT ME,,,check for yourself, seems,,, knowing shit don't mean much.
Not when your flying into the side of a building, car, groin, seawall, bridge, etc.

If anything this push for rider cert. is just another racket, geared to make money, f-en just like the phony lesson racket.

Want to avoid bans?

just kite off shore,, get out of the line-up.

Get your mom some binoculars.

regards
fo

Boxburg
Medium Poster

Postby Boxburg » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:40 am

It's a long weekend, it's raining and there isn't a puff of wind. Looks like I have some time on my hands.
Here are some of my thoughts on this in no particular order.
When there is a licensing system, there is an organisation that needs to administrate it and it's an opportunity for someone somewhere to charge for it. P.A.D.I (put another dollar in) for example.
Who decides who's going to be taking the coin?
Or would be be feasable at all considering the relatively small numbers of kiters versus other sports like SCUBA?.
Who polices it? What would the ramifications of "unlicensed kiting" be? Are we doing the sport a disservice by punishing people trying to get into it, but just starting out the wrong way?
Is there a simpler method to stop people getting into the sport the wrong way?
I agree there needs to be a method to protect the sport from fools as much as the fools need protection themselves.
A license could test your riding skills, of course, but having the savvy to assess conditions, read weather and analyse the launch should also be a part of a license (if would ever come into being). How deep do you want to go?
In an area where kiting is popular, there is a general camaradarie of kiters who naturally self regulate because that's simply the culture of kiting.
In higher demand areas, local authorities and kiters work together and come up with workable options. That solves a majority of problems that licencing wouldn't
There is also another layer of organisation - eg in Australia AKSA, and the state associations - that kiters join to access 3rd party insurance.
In some launches in Australia you can't kite without the little AKSA yellow tag on your harness. That works. There's no skill test, but if you're committed enough to spend the $60 and wear the tag, and read the info AKSA send out regularly you're obviously deep into the sport.
The issue is that there are only about 700 kiters in Oz that choose to do this. You could argue to make it mandatory but I know in OZ, you'd be told to take a flying leap.
You generally find the works "kiting" and "freedom" close to each other in plenty of conversations. Let's not forget why we do this in the first place.
Some thought starters anyway.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:09 am

Lets keep liscense requirements where you need them - So Cal? OK, Central Georgia? No.

stakas
Frequent Poster

Postby stakas » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:34 am

Many sports are dangerous but few sports are more dangerous for bystanders as ours. Sorry, whatever it takes just avoid a ban. The price and inconvinience of a Certification is minimal compare to other aspects of kitesurfing. Better regulated the banned!
steven

Return to “Kitesurfing”