Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfbali » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:07 pm

Hello again,
I think spork is right....
the insurance-license is more important in really populated kiting area where the risk of beach closure is higer...
It will show authorities that kiters are responsible...
Also I don't see the need of a real enforcer, it should be more of a personal choice!
But I think we all concour in here that with today population of kiters in the best beaches around to have newbye showing up with never used kite or experience can bring problems.....

If anyone will pass by from Bali or Sumbawa I will give IKO level 3 card
to anyone that dimonstrate the capabilities required.
Cost of this will be just 10 US$ (basically the cost of the card itself)...

Bye Jankie
http://www.bali-kitesurfing.org

keglon
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby keglon » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:20 pm

Cost of this will be just 10 US$ (basically the cost of the card itself)...
I'd say you got ripped off on those cards then.

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:09 am

Nope, card are coming from Dominican Rep. to Bali...
And let's say 2 beers as compensation for the time!
Bye Jankie

Polaris
Rare Poster

Postby Polaris » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:03 am

Look! No matter how we all see it. The local gov.t is going to call the final shot. If anybody follows FKSA’s forum? Miami’s Crandon Park “North Beachâ€

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:25 pm

Let's get real here:

First off, it's the good riders who f*** it all up.

Second, no way you teach some guy to have faster reaction time than he was born with...

either you have what it takes or you don't. (it's about luck more than skill; and that's a fact!)

plenty of dead guys who had what it takes. (passed tense)

The problem is this, the very same motovation (I'll pass you if you meet iko, bla bla, bla, laundry list of crap-ola skills) [it's the wind that blows your candle out, right?] that assumes to be the "judge" of who has got what it takes,, OR NOT!!!

(you'll need to take a lesson luckily I'm a f-en pro) DOAH!!!!$$$ see it?

is the same bulshit that fuels the shore show. It's the importance of being important.

In conclusion: To empower even Bigger dumb-fucs
(note they all think iko is god's gift to man) cracks me up,,,

to say your good to go,,, only stokes the certified into demonstrating his/her/its now documented f-en SKILL...

f*** me,,,,are you serious? you got-a be kidding me??,,,give some f-en tweet autority and you get a bigger tweek.

The whole thing boils down to this; we are a pack of fuc-wads any way you slice it.

Shit for brains? we got it.

I'm shooting the first guy who asks for my credentials.

You've been warned
fokiten

selassie
Frequent Poster

Postby selassie » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:25 am

The liscense is just the first step of a process that ends kiteboarding making it illegal because its too dangerous for the public. :evil:

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

___

Postby ian c » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:50 am

Most people understand that you don't get a paraglider, diving kit or parachute and 'give it a go'.

Few people are stupid enough to sell a kite to someone without letting them know that they should get proper lessons before EVER flying it - not just for the sake of their own safety, but for that of others also.

Either there are some stupid people selling kites or these people are just simply 'stupid' (presuming the person watching the chaos at the beach has put in the effort to educate them - and they listened to nothing you said).

Proper lessons means getting lessons from a rider that has whole heap of good, varied practical kiteboarding experience, as well as being able to communicate the info that may be needed.

Rules and regulations?- take responsibility for your own actions - don't feel safe just cos you have a license/3rd party

The kiters that scare me the most are the ones that look scared themselves - ironically these tend to be the ones with the most safety gear...

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:03 pm

Thanks Ian,

I think it's pretty clear that these "kite-nite" types suffer from a lack of thought, ethics, or in some cases both.

The whoseale hype of kiting through videos, free hot dogs and talk encourages everyone to simply give it a go, the only motovation of course is to sell lessons and gear.

(exploiting the "show" quality to gain enough interest to leverage the danger, to sell the safety, they can't deliver; it's a shell game.)

The bottom line is that we (the kiters) suffer the consequences.

What is it doing for us?

Turning the launches into a ZOO; making free kiting a threat to the public good.

Let's face the facts:

kiters come in three flavors, the too scared, the too brave, and the true blue recreational.

The too scared are there because they got sold on the notion of fun and bought the gear!! and now find themselves faced with the hard facts, f*** up, and loop your kite on the beach and you might die.

They the walking dead, petrified, to afraid to act, to invested to quit.

The too brave,,,Yeah, we need those guys, (head slap) enough said, the too brave are out for props...This is the main problem with kitting >>the ego dudes,,the hey!! did you see me? guys,,unfortunately that's almost all kiters.

(that's our problem we want to be both in everybody's face and appluaded for it??)

THIS CRACKS ME UP,, Anyone else see the TRUE irony in this?

The true blue recreational,, These are kiters like me, I launch I go straight out past the line-up for 1000 yards, transition and head up wind hard,,,once I'm all alone I just kite for my own pleasure.

How many of us are there that are like me?

At my spot 1, me. period.

I just don't understand how you guys can sit back and watch the $$ dudes exploit the unaware at your expence.

Wake-up it's not getting better it's leaning more and more toward profit at the expence of access.

It's leaning more towards, everyone "must pay us" or you can't kite here.

Think it over, Why or who wants to regulate?? eh? wink

The same dudes who are hyping the crap (the kite-nite dudes the iko dudes) out of a semi (if you ain't lucky it's just a matter of time) fun but potentially deadly sport.

Kiting is the best time I know of, let's keep it real.

take charge of your spot and make sure to discourage those myopic "salesmen" we don't need a salesman mentality.

Wholesale growth is no bargin.

Thanks Ian

fo

PS. just watch the objections will come in two flavors:

The> I'm making it safer for everyone $$ dudes.

The> I'm entitled to make a living $$dudes.

My answer would be, so your enhancing their safety by hooking them up to a big ass kite. Is that your story?

Teaching is fine, it's the selling that sucks

GreenPat
Frequent Poster

Postby GreenPat » Mon May 02, 2005 11:25 am

The fo is back. Just like the old days.

Pinky Yazz
Rare Poster

Postby Pinky Yazz » Mon May 02, 2005 9:06 pm

At first I'm sorry about my english (I just study it) but i've some words to tell the auther of this theme.

Of course for professional teachers and instructors the license can be important thing and may be it's a good idea to obligate kite-schools to receive such instruction... BUT for theaching, not for surfing. At least, who will be a judge?)) Especially in foregn country. Try to imagine that all kiters from each windy place near the lakes and rivers have to receive such license.

At least, For me Kitesurfing (like some other extremal kinds of sport) always was some form of freedorm... yes, kitesurfing means freedorm for me. And now somebody want to give me a license on my freedorm?! I cannot believe it...

But may be it's possible to have some international rules for all kiters. Really, one week ago we had a problem with some kiters in Egypt, beacause they used too big kites, they had no any instructors and they didn't want to note that there are another kiters around them... it's not a pleasure to fell somebody's kite on your back or to see how He destroy yours just because the owner doesn,t know what to do with it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”