Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What type of kite will you buy in 2006 ?

Forum for kitesurfers

What type of kite will you buy in 2006 ?

Bow kite (level beginner-intermediate)
13%
Bow kite (level intermediate-advanced)
36%
C kite (level beginner-intermediate)
1%
C kite (level intermediate-advanced)
37%
Foil (level beginner-intermediate)
1%
Foil (level intermediate-advanced)
12%

Total votes: 385

Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My opinion

Postby Sake » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm

Rod14 wrote: Come one guys, what are you saying?? BOW kites are the next generation!! :thumb: :bye:
So why do I allready know kitesurfers that bought a bow, sold it and got a C-kite like a.o. a R6 and F-one Tribal.
So why is there the more or less confirmed(he can't say 100%) story about an international sponsored very good Dutch kitesurfer that switched brand to be able to switch from bow to very depowerable C-kite.

I don't think it will be in 2006. Maybe 2007/2008

My guess is Vegas06/Impact/Tribal/Matrix06/Octane etc will be THE kites in 2006.

teen_ripper
Rare Poster

Postby teen_ripper » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:03 pm

can i just say that mostly all the pros use C-kites!
this is because with bow kites there are 3 main disadvantages...
1. theres resticted manoeuvrability
2. bow kites have a non-linear aerodynamic power potential when the flying speed changes i.e - an on - off feeling on the bar rather than a smooth power development, and
3. a relatively low-power potential during turing (which we do a lot of) for a given canopy area

bow kites might have the technology to make it easy for a wider wind range and better safety features but when it comes to pure grunt that all us kiters want to pull of the sickest ass moves, its all about the c-kite!!

adam

guruika
Rare Poster

x

Postby guruika » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:54 pm

x
Last edited by guruika on Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:31 am

Rod14 wrote:Hey guys,
Have you notice the little wind range of the Vegas6 12m?? :?:
If you are a novice level, 13knts to 16??? This is a wind range?? No :oops: :oops:
If you are interm. or advan., 13 to 22knts, come on!!! :x :x
If you are expert, 13 to 24, know we are talking :thumb:
This data I took it from, http://www.northkites.com/index.cfm

With a bow 12 you have from 12knts to 30knts of wind range, and that is true!!! Because I have one.
My weight is 80kg, I have a 130cm board and I have a Switchblade 12m, and my old C shape 16,5m. I have 7 years of experience.
Sometimes with my Contra, I ride with 12knts and it’s really fun. But in some conditions I have to pull it down with 20 or less knts.
In the other hand my Switchblade 12 I tried it from the same 12knts, and in another occasion I tried it with 28knts with gust of 30knts, and I couldn’t believe it, it was one of the best ridings.

For example another interesting thing, my wife weight 55kg, and she is starting right now in kite surfing, when I’m with the Contra, she is with the SB, and believe me she is not in dangerous situations in a 16knts day, or a little more.

Come one guys, what are you saying?? BOW kites are the next generation!! :thumb: :bye:
Hi,

One thing are the advertised ranges, the other are the real values.
From my experience (in terms of wind range i consider myself expert):
- The north kites have a higher high-end than advertised
- The bows i have ridden have a lower top end than advertised

I will use C-Shapes for lower winds because in less than 15 knots what i want is constant power and speed and depower is really not my main concern. Maybe in the 2007/2008 generation of bows this might not make sense, but today, from my experience, it does.

See you!

Rod14
Rare Poster

Postby Rod14 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:46 pm

Wawando wrote:
I will use C-Shapes for lower winds because in less than 15 knots what i want is constant power and speed and depower is really not my main concern. Maybe in the 2007/2008 generation of bows this might not make sense, but today, from my experience, it does.
Thanks for your answer. You are right in someway here! In low winds, maybe 12knts or 13knts I prefer a constant power, C shape,

but the good thing of a bow is that if you are riding with 18knts, and the wind decrease to 14knts or less, in one or two hours, you still ride with the bow, and it is probably that you have to launch a bigger kite (C shape) in the new condition, so it has better performance in different conditions, :wink:

And in money it’s also better, because with one bow kite you ride the same as if you have 2 or 3 kites (C shape) to get the same wind range. :lol: :lol:

Have you tried it the new Switchblade?? Is different to Crossbow, I think is better! :?:

Bye

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:05 am

Bought and Paid for
6m Torch 2
8m RRD HIR
10m RRD HIR
13m RRD HIR

I'm still open to the bow kite idea but for now I'm extremely happy with my decision.

mas-martin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Around Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Witsands-SA
Gnarloo-WA
Silversand-Barbados
Style: Wave
Gear: RRD Religion
Brand Affiliation: RRD

Postby mas-martin » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:22 am

i'll try this one..

adamskii
Medium Poster

Postby adamskii » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:05 pm

A set of Peter Lynn Venom 2s for my son 8/10/13/16/19..... he is only 7 stone so the wind range is quite limited for him on all kites!!
He is riding for them on land this year so he is VERY stoked about it all..... he wont play with MY new toys..

Ocean Rodeo ONEs.. 12/16 and perhaps a couple of Diablos too :D :D

Really looking forward to my 12 arriving this week..... lots of time to be spent on land and water with it :D

The Venom 2s should be amazing .... the V1s we have been flying this year are SO easy to use, they want to stay in the air not fall onto you :o It was quite a shock flying a C kite for the first time... they don't Autozenith or stay where you put them..... they make up for it in other ways though.As long as there is wind and I have a kite I will be happy though :D

dennisk
Medium Poster

Postby dennisk » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:17 pm

Just bought a cheap Raven 2005 12m... can't wait to try it...

I'll be checking the bows out next year...when they are on sale.

By then I will have had some chances to try them and will have figured out what's been sales bullshit and brand bashing.

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:18 am

mas-martin wrote:i'll try this one..

I agree if you want a bow this is the best! :thumb: Demo one befor you buy anything else. You want be sorry. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”