Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do you wash your wetsuit with fresh water?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Do you wash your wetsuit with fresh water?

Postby Kykeon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:10 pm

I do, every time!
but I'm wondering if it is a waste of time...

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do you wash your wetsuit with fresh water?

Postby Ludmil » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 pm

That's general relativity.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Throw my suits in the washer after a sesh. Have been doing it for years. From back in the day in the top loaders with agitators and now front loaders. Use a little of regular detergent. Do the same for all my wet clothing/booties after each sesh. Yes, I know it's not recommended.

Then I dry the wetsuits/booties and other wet gear with a fan afterwards <--- this is crucial to me.

The wetsuits last longer than the times it takes me to want to upgrade to the latest model. Some stuff fares better than other. Surprisingly the biggest issues I had on the most expensive, delicate and warm NP smooth skin suits were UV degradation on shoulders, nail nicks and other small abrasions from sharp objects and just the wetsuits loosing elasticity VS washing machine damage. Never had any suit damaged in the machine; knock on wood!

I miss the top loaders because the suits could sit submerged in the water to soak. Though I think the front loaders do a better job getting all the sand out. I usually wash the suit with a hose if it has sand on it before I throw it in the washer. I can't stand neoprene that stinks.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:36 am

Always rinse the wetsuit after each session it definatley helps, I've noticed if I don't rinse the wetsuit and let it dry salty it's much tougher . The fresh water keeps it feeling much better in my opinion

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:23 am

Just dry my suit. Our water is brackish so not as salty as straight ocean water. We have 2 rivers that dump into our bay plus any rain run off. Mildew is probably worse than the salt and no one wants to put on a wet wetsuit in the cold.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 am

norcom wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 pm
Throw my suits in the washer after a sesh. Have been doing it for years. From back in the day in the top loaders with agitators and now front loaders. Use a little of regular detergent. Do the same for all my wet clothing/booties after each sesh. Yes, I know it's not recommended.

Then I dry the wetsuits/booties and other wet gear with a fan afterwards <--- this is crucial to me.

The wetsuits last longer than the times it takes me to want to upgrade to the latest model. Some stuff fares better than other. Surprisingly the biggest issues I had on the most expensive, delicate and warm NP smooth skin suits were UV degradation on shoulders, nail nicks and other small abrasions from sharp objects and just the wetsuits loosing elasticity VS washing machine damage. Never had any suit damaged in the machine; knock on wood!

I miss the top loaders because the suits could sit submerged in the water to soak. Though I think the front loaders do a better job getting all the sand out. I usually wash the suit with a hose if it has sand on it before I throw it in the washer. I can't stand neoprene that stinks.
The only downside is that you can not kite often with your methods, Kiting 4 times a week and put your wetsuite in the washing machine after each session, can you picture it already? none of it remains.
Just rinse after each session is more that enough and necessary.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 am

if you leave a freshwater wetsuit and forget/dont dry it for a while... gross mould. salt is a great anti bacterial agent

the best thing ever is buying 2 wetsuits if you live somewhere cold.. wear out at half the rate and always have a dry one

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 pm

I turn mine inside out and hose down with a high focus on the piss zone. Then I leave inside out and hang to dry.. :D :D :D

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 am
norcom wrote:

The only downside is that you can not kite often with your methods, Kiting 4 times a week and put your wetsuite in the washing machine after each session, can you picture it already? none of it remains.
Just rinse after each session is more that enough and necessary.
I'm not sure why you'd think that. I've kited daily during the winter with my wetsuit plenty of times, if there's wind. Wash it in the washing machine every time. The wetsuit is washed in less than 30min and dried with the Hangair wetsuit dryer in a few hours inside my house. I'm very meticulous in taking care of my gear, to the point of OCD. It’s an hour long hassle after each session for me to clean everything up and inspect it.

Now I do live in FL, so using my wetsuit is not a year-round process. Though if you knew how anal I am about taking care of my gear, you'd understand that I would still wash it. :D In the end it's more about the smell and the bacteria that's in the water I kite. There's some scary stuff here and I'd rather take my chances with messing up the suit than having something funky rubbing against my skin for hours.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 am

norcom wrote:

We have a front loader. i toss full suit, booties, gloves, impact vest about a tablespoon or two of detergent on QUICK wash and Extra High speed spin 25 minutes. Everything comes out nearly dry and ready for another sheesh!

Return to “Kitesurfing”