Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Fokiten's Rigging System to avoid tangled lines

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:44 am

fokiten's rigging method:

step 1. blow up your kite.
Point it off the wind, so you can see the inside of the kite from where you'd stand to launch it (this is optional so don't freak out.) and sand kite good.
Unwrap enough of the lines so you can find the front lines and hook them to the front pigtails, you are done rigging for now.

(note: you could mark one front line if you need your de-power strap facing you after your done rigging your kite)

step 2. Go ahead and unwrap the bar while you walk to your chosen launch position, and simply put the bar face down (like the kite is face down) and pick up the backlines one in each hand and walk them back to the kite.

If you encounter a twist or tangle, simply pull the line toward you until you have its end (the sanded kite holds the front lines firm, so you can easily pull them through and notice this can't not be done IF you have accidentally hooked a rear line to a front pig-tail.

(An automatic safety check built right in)

step 3. when you have both free ends of the rear lines in your hands at the kite, you can just hook them up. The one in your right hand goes on the wing-tip to your right...etc. (see this is why you slant the kite a bit when you sand it) better to have them marked red and green, so> RED TO RED and GREEN TO GREEN)

Done! go kite.

Notes: one thing that's common with the other ways is getting the lines on right but having a twist,,,

In my system the fronts are on the kite already, and the rears have been cleared from the bar ends to the kite, so no way could you wrap the rear lines under the fronts, unless you let go shove them under the fronts, pick ed them up again and hooked them up.

The list of saving is long,, no line jiggling, no dragging the lines across the beach,
no line jiggling, did I mention no line jiggling?

enjoy

fokiten

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fokiten's Rigging System to avoid tangled lines

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:14 pm

I think a lot of "new people into kiteboarding / kitesurfing" can benefit from this rigging tutorial

The vast majority of kiters detach and re-attach lines constantly

I see kiters who attach their lines to their kite before each session and they only own "one kite"

This is how they have learned to do it.....and it is their normal preparation ritual

Fo's system is excellent and i felt it needed to be brought out of the past and into the present

...................................................... :surf: :sun: ...........................................................................................

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 pm

SupaEZ wrote: The vast majority of kiters detach and re-attach lines constantly

I see kiters who attach their lines to their kite before each session and they only own "one kite"

...................................................... :surf: :sun: ...........................................................................................
How is Fo's system gonna help them with that... step one ... attach fronts..... step 3 attach backs... so you still gotta attach your lines :)

I tried Fo's system and it's not so good for me as I have a 5line bar and I setup my lines straight up wind to launch off the 5th line. If I had a 4 line bar I would try it again.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:10 pm

For a 4 line kite that system is Supra eazy and Supa safe

For a 5 line like a Rebel i am pretty sure it would work in a very similar way

Fronts right and left....back lines right and left....and keep the 5th line for the very last step :D

.................. :surf: :sun: ...............................................................................................................

Return to “Safety”