Rare Poster
Local Beach: Laguna, SPac, NPac, Whitecap
Favorite Beaches: Laguna Madre
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha IDS info from users

Postby corpuswind » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Cabrinha IDS flyers: I am interested in unbiased info about what the relaunch chances are after a deployment of the IDS total depower over 1) water, or 2) sand. Do the slackened lines have a chance to wrap over the back of the kite, or the kite to flip, invert, or bow-tie while out on the total depowered leash? Does the standard IDS limit the bar travel toward the kite to limit the slack?

In short, when you recover the bar after total depower, and a period of inattention to the kite, are you likely to find your lines crossed, braided, etc. as is usually the case with single-front-line-tethered leash systems?

I also would like to know roughly the largest diameter of the center strut, when inflated. The trend toward smaller struts has left many brands with flimsy struts, which do not support the kite shape well in the water during flopovers, unless they are inflated hard enough to endanger the leading edge bladder envelope. Cabrinha websites and photos are not very helpful in learning about this.

Any help is appreciated.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha IDS info from users

Postby Kosh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:46 pm

Relaunch: I've always been able to relaunch the kite after initiating the IDS system, both on snow and on water. But on water I've never used it in an emergency, only testing, while able to stand in the water. Though I dont see any major issues doing it in deep water.

The slackened lines hasnt wrapped around a wingtip, though I have experienced sometimes that when the kite is turned around again facing the wind, one of the steering lines may be wrapped around a center line, but I cannot give a precise description as to why this happens. But it is still possible to fly the kite back to shore. I got a good description about how to avoid it on the forum, think it related to turning the kite the wrong way into the wind again, but don't remember the exact wording :-?

The struts and LE is quite big on the Crossbow to support the shape properly. But some people have claimed that the LE aint supported good enough (wingtips folding inwards) in very high winds (unsure if they mean inside or outside the range of the kite. Havent experienced it myself

Return to “Safety”