Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The "Oh Sh*t" Moment - When to Quick Release?

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The "Oh Sh*t" Moment - When to Quick Release?

Postby ChickenTikka » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:16 pm

I have to admit, I almost never quick release, but as I have been progressing in the sport I realize that I need to change that.

So when do I quick release?

Obviously:
1. If the kite is looping uncontrollably. This hasn't really happened to me.

2. Lines are tangled or twisted and have the potential to start looping.

3. Dangerous sharp and or hard objects nearby. (possibly use secondary as well)

4. Sudden scary weather approaches.

What about?

1. If (while on water) lines cross (But do not tangle) with another kite? Assume both kites fall to the water harmlessly? Should you quick release the moment you see this happening? In my mind QR in this would increase the odds of the lines tangling and creating the dangerous looping effect. The three times this has happened to me, nobody quick released and kite lines stayed taught but went to the ground.

2. If after a relaunch you are flying and notice that the lines aren't perfect but the kite still flies more or less soundly. I've had this happen a few times with my cabrinha and have body dragged to the beach keeping the kite low and signaled for help or quick released once the kite reached the land if nobody present.

3. Anything else?

Also could anyone comment on the difference between modern kites and c-kites on this issue? A lot of the safety posts I'm finding on this are dealing with kites from back in the day which I believe were very different.

Finally, I check my quick release before each transition as well as my chick loop and donkey penis.

Thanks!

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Re: The "Oh Sh*t" Moment - When to Quick Release?

Postby pmaggie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:35 am

Case 1: immediately release!! Two kites tangled and still flying pull exactly twice than one....
Case 2:I would land my kite to the side of wind window and check if I can do something to perfectly clear the lines. If the kite is flying and under control, no need in my opinion to QR.
Case 3: I QR every time I feel that my kite is not in full control. I think there isn't a specific list, I just evaluate the actual situation and decide what to do. Anyway, you'd better QR than risk, that's the basic rule.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 am

Kite about to be hammered by a big wave.

KVL
Medium Poster

Postby KVL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:24 am

pmaggie wrote:Case 1: immediately release!! Two kites tangled and still flying pull exactly twice than one....
Requires, that you plan it with the other person/rider. Otherwise you just leave the shit and two untrolled kites to him. Tangled lines can be solved.

What happens if you release - will it bring other kites down - what about people on the beach, if any?

Be calm and consider what happens when you release...

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm

The moment to quick release if just before panicking !
Tough call.
I have been through all the figures you stated and have not ejected, to kite on aftrewards.
Had I ejected the chances of kiting home would definitely have been smaller.
Best is to regularly check that the thing works, and trust your judgement.
Nico

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:50 pm

When you're being submarined... or lofted (time it carefully)

I had a kite loop on me after it had tumbled downwind and wrapped a rear leader around a tip - pulled the safety but that didn't decrease the pull at all :o

Never pulled the safety on my Cabrinha kites AT ALL and have only pulled the safety on my Flysurfers when landing the kite... always check the operation of any QR and that they're free of sand before launches.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Hehe, I asked this question ages ago! Well, I guess late is better than never.

I've now had two death loops since I asked this question. I didn't pull immediately one time because I was marginally underpowered so the kite wasn't really gonna kill me. The other I did so immediately.

What's the right call when your lines get crossed with somebody else? I've been just letting the bar go and getting ready to quick release if need be. That's served me well.

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:57 pm

A few weeks ago I got lofted. I went out on a 9.5 kahoona. Frontal winds on Long Island NY tend to be gusty and change degrees of direction often.

While riding in the middle of a shallow bay, the direction switched and more than doubled itself. I started skipping along trying to slow down, bar all the way to the stopper. Before i could yardsale, I hit a piece of chop and went airborne, bar was still all the way out. I had no control. I crashed hard. Once I gathered myself, I sat in the water kite pulling really hard around 5 kite lengths from an island.
At this point, I had my hand on the release, one more jolt and the kite was gone.

The sky was clear, and the weather was sweet! No cloud formations, or lines to tell me something.

Picture a big jump when you pull in the bar to go up. Well my bar was all the way out, and I was still rising fast. LOL usually when I sheet out, I go down not up. I said to myself.....wow thats what they meant by lofting.

kingofyo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mississippi beach

Postby kingofyo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Finally a decent topic...

first of all on the question of "thinking of others on the beach" please note a loose kite goes from powered to a drifter once the resistance of your body weight is gone...

Think 1200 dollar trash bag, just drifting in the breeze....as apposed to a freight train with a two hundred pound dip-shit in tow...

It's the lines though, and the helpful bystander....a bit of screaming will be required:

NO!! don't NO!! fucking NO !!! don't grab that bar, Fucking NO!!! NO!!

2. if you have to ask, your not there yet...

be afraid, be very afraid > of your cupidity

Third, if your outside, and something breaks you can attach your board to your bar/c-loop, line whatever and maybe? fix the shitye without bozoing your lines forever...

comments/
Thanks
fo

PS. wtf Toby...just bust a move
this me not being me is not right...

Return to “Safety”