Local Beach: Neusiedlersee
Gear: Tube-Kite Wipika Free Air AR 3.3 mit 11 qm in rot/weiß
fanatic Directional-Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Q: How to make my 2002 kite "safe"?

Postby hundlola » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Okay, like you wrote, I thought, I´d maybe miss something... No, nobody told me to buy the old kite, it was just me, forgetting what they told us during the course and beeing excited to get a Kite so cheap. (I can´t wait to finally start the season :-) ) But after I enrolled it at home, I remembered some words the instructors said and thats why I asked here again ;-)

Alright, I think it´s a good advice to look for bodyequipment first. I really still have no clue of the different kitestyles and brands, so I´ll take your advice and wait with the kite until next summer and then look for one.

Thank you again, nice that you help a nooby without insulting him like in some other forums ;-)

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:15 am

Pump it real hard and ... set it on FIRE.

p.s.you can video record it if you want.i bet that you ll have at least 10.000 views on youtube

p.s. didnt wanted to insult you but to alarm you that you are going to get killed

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:07 am

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:31 am

My first kite was a 2003 Cabrinha Blacktip. It had a huge bar with a wrist safety and a double chicken loop for full power.

First thing my instructor told me was the kite was not safe as is and have a loop sewn into the center of the kite and attached a fifth line so that when i let go of the bar the kite would nosedive onto the 5th line.

Later i bought a new kite and realized the new safeties are amazing. It would be worth trying to upgrade.

I took the blacktip out this winter to snowkite and it dragged me across the snow maybe 100 m as I didnt have the 5th line attached and the kite doesnt naturally depower. I dont think ill ever try it again.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:11 am

NorCalNomad wrote:Image
Funny but true :lol:

Kevin Brooker
Medium Poster
Style: snow
Gear: Home sewn

Postby Kevin Brooker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm

My quiver is almost a history of kite development. Back in the 90s we used two line stunt kites (flexi foil stacks, Hawaiian Team kites) to skate when the lakes froze. No depowering and relaunching was s process. The ride was basically a broad teach as the kites didn't work too well for going upwind. End of the lake things packed up and we skated back upwind for another go. 4 line foils with brakes and a climbing harness was the next upgrade. Connect the handles with s piece of rope and use a carabiner to transfer the pull to the harness. My q/r was a sewn loop of webbing with a steel ring a captured by another webbing loop and a hitch pin which when pulled cut the entire thing loose. I took the idea from skydiving chute releases. This setup and kites had minimal upwind ability but they pulled like freight trains and I learned to read a kite and the ability to relaunch was heavenly. Still never got on water so just skis. Brakes were nice but they just killed the power. Almost like driving a shitty handling car by controlling the speed by using the key to start and stop the full throttle engine.

Around the turn of the century I played with an Ozonr Frenzy which had early depow, a safety system and upwind ability! I was also broke so kept at it with you rigs. Sewed a few foils and tube kites with moderate success but making bladders sucked and they slowly leaked out. I knew my setups were going to hurt someone so I kept using them but never lent the gear to anyone for fear of killing them. In 2006 I used a more modern rig where the depow was huge and very controllable. The safety system was well thought out and the kite was fun and controllable. Still broke and just stashed my gear realizing my time out of the ER was shit luck. Leap ahead ten years and luck had me fall into a friend selling off his Peak 2 and harness. WOW. What a an upgrade from 2010. Just snagged a 2015 Envy. The short finish to the long story is start away from old gear. If you decide to fly it for nastalgia sake be careful. Save yourself a bunch of hassle and $$ and find a modern rig. You will save $ and live to enjoy it more.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Dumb zombie thread.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Five years later . . . . . it's a zombie thread!

Return to “Safety”