Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need High Floatation Lifevest Opinions (big rider)

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
talbert99
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dallas Texas, Gulf Coast
Favorite Beaches: Gulf Coast
Gear: Tensor 5.0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need High Floatation Lifevest Opinions (big rider)

Postby talbert99 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 am

Relatively new to Kiteboarding. One thing through my lessons I really wish I had to help me relax and give me more confidence is a higher buoyancy life preserver (High Hook/Kite specific of course).

I'm currently using an NPX Immortal (don't know what it's rating is) but I sit lower than I'd like. Can anyone recommend me another brand/model with a 44 inch chest to keep a big guy afloat.

Thanks

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Re: Need High Floatation Lifevest Opinions (big rider)

Postby joriws » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:42 am

I do not know where you are from, so first a word about units. In EU the buoyancy is given in SI-unit Newtons (N) which is the unit of force.

If you are using impact vest their buoyancy can be something like 20N, but they are not buoyancy devices but they do float a little. One local guy needed to ditch his helmet when he was in trouble with wetsuit & impact vest on. Buoyancy category officially starts from 50N and vest/PFD is officially stamped with CE-marking. Some impact vest vendors has 50N vests/PFDs on their selection.

If kiting specific accessories are not enough what you are looking for in terms of buoyancy you could look white water PFDs.

In kiting at home location I (heavy boy) use wet suit accompanied with 50N white water paddler vest just because I already have those on my garage. White water PFDs are made for high torso/arm maneuverability. But WW PFD are not compatible with waist harness but I use them with North Performer which gives fairly high hook position. There are also 100N white water vests but I use those only at river with a kayak.

But if you are looking something with waist harness you could be limited to only one or two commercial possibilities. Or DIY white water paddler PFD without Zipper and make a hole for hook. Or glue more low density buoyancy material to your impact vest but you need a lot of plates because it is question of density and volume how much water is "pushed" away when submerged like Archimedes did.

Mako
Rare Poster
Style: Free ride
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need High Floatation Lifevest Opinions (big rider)

Postby Mako » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 am

Here's a couple of options that may help:

http://www.neilpryde.com/accessories/vests/vest.html

Return to “Safety”