Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Ex-NFL player Rob Konrad swims nine miles to shore after fal

Postby edt » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:29 pm

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Former Miami Dolphins fullback Rob Konrad swam nine miles back to shore after falling off his boat while fishing off the South Florida coast.

The U.S. Coast Guard reports that Konrad had gone fishing alone Wednesday after being dropped off at a Boca Raton dock. Friends became concerned after he didn't meet them for dinner, and the Coast Guard later sent a helicopter to look for him.

The Coast Guard said Konrad apparently fell off the 36-foot boat, which had been on auto pilot. Unable to get back to the boat, Konrad began swimming toward shore. He made it some time after 4 a.m. Thursday and contacted the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

Good for Rob Konrad. Dude can swim. I know it's not a kiting story but I had to share. took him 10 or 11 hours to swim the 9 miles. Water temperature was around 60-65 which i guess is 16-17c. I don't think he had any flotation and of course no wetsuit either. The boat was on autopilot so he couldn't swim after the boat. I assume he used the sun and full moon for directions until he got close enough to see the city lights.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Ex-NFL player Rob Konrad swims nine miles to shore after

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 pm

kinda related...most people would have been dead...I was about to drown in similar cold water, with a shorty, swimming about few min, about 50m from the beach with a kite pulling me a much as I could swim...didn't make it back to shore, a force was about to pull me down, I went on 5th line back to kite and laid onto fronttube, and a boat pulled me back to shore.

Scary. Again, 9 miles with no wetsuit at all, he was lucky, and thx to his trained body he survived.
99% would not have made it for sure.

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby mike dubs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Not lucky at all. That man has just displayed immense mental strength. His physical strength would have been sapped many times, encouraging him to blissfully slid under.

He mentally ignored his body's pain and kept going with a will to live that is beyond admiration. He didn't panic, worked out his direction and refused to give up and die, something I think 99% of people couldn't do, that's why he could be a SEAL or SAS man and we couldn't.

I take my hat off to a better man than me.

Mike

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Dude is a beast! Legendary both mentally and physically. Respect!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:45 pm

i used to hit the swimming pool 2 x day x 6days/week and compete, side by side with some Olympic athletes

even in the peak of my form I would struggle hard to swim 11miles non stop in the swimming pool

not seeing I would last out there in the open ocean

incredible what this guy did

hats off indeed

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm

Not to mention shark infested waters...

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Been thanked: 0

Postby GregWoj » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:42 am

Holy Shit!!! That's crazy... Nice work Rob - Way to persevere! At night none the less! Amazing.

Went to highschool with him and played HS football with him (St. Johns Prep - Danvers, MA). I shit you not when he was a JR he was 6'3" 220... the rest of us were like 5'8" 150. Kid was a man child at 17.

Return to “Safety”