Duty to warn

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Duty to warn

Postby PullStrings » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:06 pm

After setting up my 10m and strapped surfboard a nice guy new to our beach shows up and we talk
He says that he is used to flat water and weighs 135 lbs...been kiting a few years
He says that he forgot his 10 and only has his 14 and twin tip
He asked if i could wait to launch my kite and help him launch his kite because he really wants to go and ride

I very nicely said no and explained why i think it was not safe

Wind was 20 degrees to the left of directly onshore at 25-33 mph with sand blowing down the beach... waves 5-7 ft...whitewater mess on the inside
Narrow beach with obstacles 75 m downwind..street..houses..power lines
On the water there were 4 guys out and they were on 7 / 8 /9 /10 sizes with their hands full

I self launched and pointed out that my kite in the air was nearly maxed out fully trimmed and was luffing

He made the decision to sit this one out

I was happy to see that

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duty to warn

Postby matth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Absolutely did the right thing. 135Lbs +14kite+25 to 33mph = paraglider

I had an unexpected lofting a few weeks ago, Thankfully I was in waist deep water and I was fine, my woo recorded 14 feet.

I was on a ten and it was gusting to about 35mph, I weigh 190lbs.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Excellent choice!

I experienced it several times that people approach me since I rig an 18 in pretty strong winds...people are worried and this is good!
I explain them what I do and then they realize my level and that I can hold the power.
But you can only find this out talking to the person to find about his level of riding.
A guy who can handle it will be pretty confident and have lots of experience.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:00 am

In those conditions, at 180 lbs, I'd be going out on my SB with a 7m. Wouldn't even consider a 10m, although an experienced kiter on TT might. 135 lbs with a 14m? No way.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Over the past 3 years, I have become hyper efficient and use very small kites compared to everyone else. My kites are Best Kahoona's, and I only ride a Liquid Force Kite Fish with 4 fins (Quad). I weigh 100kg (220lbs).

Typically, I am on a 7.5m when a 75kg (165lb) rider is on a 12m. When they go down to 10m kites, I go down to my 5.5m. If they do not know me and see me on a 5.5m, I usually get grilled on if the wind is better out there in the water as opposed to the beach. I typically explain to them that I just ride really small and they should go 9-10m. The problem arises when I get to be over powered on a 5.5m. Since I do not own a 3.5, some people still rig big at 9m-10m when they should be smaller on a 6m-7m.

This disparity in kite size typically hurts my credibility in talking someone down. Though I have often tried to stop kiters from going dangerously too big, most just will not listen anyway. It's nice that you found a kiter who listened. So far, I have not witnessed any mishaps save a destroyed kite and a few weeks off of kiting while the limp goes away.

Any one else tried to stop some one from going to big, then witnessed a serious accident?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Lol I'm 190 and I could not handle a 14m in that much wind. Mid 20s max and it would have to be flat water.

I have warned people against going out on multiple occasions myself. Most people usually end up thanking you if you take the time to really explain the reasons they should avoid certain conditions or using the wrong size kite.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:34 pm

10m on a surfboard in those conditions is a bit silly. Why weren't you on an 8,7 or even a 6?

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch

Postby mbevo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:56 pm

if you look at wind load in newtons F= 1/2 ρ v^2 A, where A is the area of the kite and V is the wind speed in m/s

regardless of rider weight, flying a 14m statically in 30mph generates the same amount of force as a 10m in 35mph and 7m in 42mph. However I feel like latter is practiced more commonly.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:51 am

Several years ago I was riding at a crowded site being fully lit on a 12m Waroo on a short narrow board. I had come in and landed and when packing up I saw this guy pumping up a 20m "C" kite. I went over and asked him about his experience. He said this was his first time kiting, no lessons, no friends that kited, and that he was a professional water skier. So I told him that 1) this was way too much kite for the conditions, 2) his experience as a professional water skier was of extremely little value, 3) he would be seriously injured or killed if he got someone to launch him (winds were directly onshore with trees 50' away), 4) he would endanger other kiters and bystanders and be subject to a reckless endangerment lawsuit, 5) he should invest in lessons to learn to kite safely, and 6) that I had seen too many kitemares and I did not want to have to explain to his widow and the authorities why I allowed him to kite. After all that he still wanted to launch! So I told again to take lessons and if he wanted to go it alone to wait for a day with 10 mph winds and a big wide open spot with nobody around that he could injure. He finally backed down and took my advice to take some lessons. I think that if I was not there at that time, noone else was going to stop him.

fpvSB
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter, Santa Barbara
Style: Nasty
Gear: LiquidForce, Zeeko

Postby fpvSB » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 am

In the winter in Rhode Island, if you show up, you're good enough. Easy to die in really cold water, lots of current, "waves" and heavy wind. The guinea pig goes out and all the sudden there's a group of kiters 15 min later.

Return to “Safety”