Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Why did kitesurfer cross the road?

Postby fun2kite » Mon May 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Because he had no choice..

Remember the old joke? Not funny this time.

Anybody knows details of this accident? And I really hope he/she survived this horrific accident.

Last edited by fun2kite on Mon May 28, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Why did kitesurfer cross the road?

Postby matth » Mon May 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Not funny!! that is painful and scary to watch. That one impact alone could be life changing. Hoping for the best for this person.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon May 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Unbelievable.

Looks like he looped the kite on purpose first time?
And then unwanted second time.

Anyone knows more?

I hope he is ok!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon May 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Never take a chance and go kiting on strong onshore wind with a road directly downwind....you can see it's blowing by looking at the trees as car drives along

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon May 28, 2018 4:02 pm

super bad impact...

good that people can see this and learn from it, today the bottom feeding money motivated lowlifes trying for kiting $s paint a picture that this kind of thing just does not happen.. but we know the truth about piloting a wing.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon May 28, 2018 4:10 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:02 pm
super bad impact...

good that people can see this and learn from it, today the bottom feeding money motivated lowlifes trying for kiting $s paint a picture that this kind of thing just does not happen.. but we know the truth about piloting a wing.

My guess is this ended very bad for the person in that video...I hope I am wrong.

I met a nice young lady at the beach yesterday watching her boyfriend kiting. I asked her if she was going to kite and she said "yes" but she was nervous about safety. I said "that's a good thing you are nervous, because this sport can be very dangerous and being a little nervous keeps you focused and should help you make good decisions".

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 am

couldnt agree more, there are still plenty of people being killed kiteboarding and in most cases it due to piloting a wing and the forces and effects of that.

It infuriates me that World Sailing has decided kiting is now sailing in all its forms ( to get olympic funding) and that they think that they themselves, sailors and sailing clubs can risk manage all forms of kiting and keep kiters safe. F_&king rediculous.

World Sailing, the kiteboarder sellouts and IKA ( who famously said kiting is as safe as any other sport.. yeah right..)are just utter Kooks. Along with all the kite brands ( most of them)that support this model of sailing controlling kiting through the GKA.

Bottom feeding sellouts. The brands could have come together and formed their own entity without the conflicts of interests that having World Sailing involved have created. ie our safety as kiters vs world sailings payments from the ioc for stealing kiteboarding.

:

World sailing has banned kiters from entering non world sailing sanctioned events( illegal in european counties), their loyalty is to their stakeholders as they proudly state on their website, and they are sailors, not kiters. It's so wrong. No one seems to give a f$_k tho.. until it is too late..

the current list of sellout brands that are selling out to world sailing via the GKA ( see the world sailing link on the GKA website!)

cabrinha
mystic
ocean rodeo
airush
ozone
rrd
fone
shinn
naish
core
nobile
north
flysurfer

i remember having an olympic windsurfing mum (son about to lose windsurfing medal) asking me about whether kiting was really as safe as the kiting olympic report made out ( son was considering crossing to kiting).. ie as safe as any other sport..

what was i supposed to say.. " yeah of course it is.. there are no conflicts of interests in that report where the true aim is to get olympic funding, your son is doing a sport that is safe as any other.. check this video out"

Nothing has changed. Kooks.
Last edited by longwhitecloud on Tue May 29, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue May 29, 2018 3:02 am

The kitesurfer crossed the road because :

The wind was not blowing sideshore
The chicken loop stayed in the hook

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 29, 2018 3:20 am

yep.. that is well know in sailing circles lol

they call a downed kiter capsized, a kitebar a tiller? sailing clubs.

about to burn all naish kites and skillsaw my north board into tiny pieces, i wonder what slingshots motives for not supporting the gka were!? i need some new kites and a new board.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue May 29, 2018 4:33 am

Actually,

it might be an accident. The kiter maybe tripped over something, or whatever....Difficult to tell, but, my friend died in exactly the same incident.

D.

Return to “Safety”