Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Real risk to be hit by a lightening when riding

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:35 pm

I did some flying with a thunderstorm 10 miles off on radar. After I came in I did some small beach jumps and got some static electricity shocks in my legs. It made a popping sound that made me think I was stepping on a Portuguese man of war and popping the air bladder. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. Once it dawned on me I landed quite fast.

I also took care of a gentleman struck by lightning in the Parkland burn unit. Very significant life changing injuries, because the burn tracks deep through the body damaging muscle and connective tissue. A kite session is not worth the risk.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Not to mention brain damage. The kind that makes you one sign up on forums with "expert" in their name. and the other that gets into seemingly decade long arguments with said "expert", wtf am I doing arrgg.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:07 pm

foilholio wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:51 pm
wtf am I doing arrgg.
Just being you :lol:

Expert meaning: a person who is very knowledgeable about or skillful in a particular area.

I know kites - all types of traction kites - inside out. Foil kites, LEI's, arcs, single skins - every part and component and their functions. I don't know how it could be anything else when I've designed hundreds models and also fabricated tens of them. I also know the process of kite fabrication form the beginning to the final tuning. I can make every part for kitesurfing equipment from basic materials, including line work, bars, harnesses and boards, also hf's. For wetsuits I have no interest however :)

I currently own some 20 kites and I have used and tested perhaps 200 different kites in last 15 years, maybe more. I stopped counting years ago at 120. I also know quite well where development in PG's is at the moment.

In design work I use mostly SP, but I know how to use some other design programs as well.

For the topic I've had couple of times to quit in a hurry because of closing thunder storm and starting lightning. Absolutely I see there is a risk to get struck by lightning so better to be safe than to die.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:47 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Expert meaning: a person who is very knowledgeable about or skillful in a particular area.

For the topic I've had couple of times to quit in a hurry because of closing thunder storm and starting lightning. Absolutely I see there is a risk to get struck by lightning so better to be safe than to die.
Yes !! :thumb:

If you see a bolt in the far horizon or hear a distant thunder...beware...a single bolt can reach out of a thunderstorm 40 miles..yep..blue sky all around...zap.. you're dead..the end
We have all taken chances but it's not really worth it...i have done jumps on the water with real far away storm...and at each landing my hands would get shocked on the bar...ouchhh !
That's a sign right there...get out of the water

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:13 am

someone explained me there is low risk in the water with a kite but the problem and much more risk is on the beach when we manage to go in and out.
felt tingling few times ,seem no problem but could not say is safe or not being in the water but I always run away from the beach as soon as possible when thunderstorm approachig

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 am

2 surfers got hit recently, one died(in bali)
where i live lightening is taken very seriously as it regularly kills people, schools close if real bad.

lightening bolts have been seen between kiters jumping and the sea.. when asked they felt it but were fine... i wouldnt bevtrying to find out myself...

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:49 pm

Take lightning very seriously but in the meantime here are some fun and interesting facts

Gyre
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Speed4 21m
Flysurfer Soul 15m
Flysurfer Speed3 12m
Ocean Rodeo Flite 12m
Flysurfer Speed5 9m

Nobile split board L
Flydoor XL
Liquid Force Comp 137
Slingshot vSurf foil & Simulator foil board