Forum for travel reports and travel questions

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Boracay, Philippines/ Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya, Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Review: Sri Lanka - Romashki Kite House

Postby shawn13 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:11 am

I have just finished my two week kite trip, spending one week in Soma Bay and one week in Sri Lanka!

After reading this thread http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2389452&p=899490 and Medysky telling me how great Sri Lanka was I decided to go see for myself. Stepan from Romashki Kite was the first to send me a message after my inquiry in the thread so I decided to go check it out.

I flew from Cairo to Colombo, Sri Lanka with Emirates and arrive early Saturday morning where my transfer arranged by Stepan was waiting for me in arrivals. We jumped into the transfer van and started the 3 hour journey up to Kalpitiya Lagoon.

Romashki operates at Dinuda Resort - Sri Lanka (Trip Advisor) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1404719-d2704140-Reviews-Dinuda_Resort-Kalpitiya_North_Western_Province.html

My package for the week included room, 3 meals, and transfer to kite beach daily across the lagoon. My host for the week was Polina and her staff of 4 or 5 locals, who cook all the meals and transport us back and forth to kite beach by boat. The boat ride is short, only a few minutes, and we would head to kite beach after breakfast and come back for a lunch break before kiting late afternoon. Polina is also a IKO Certified instructor and provides lessons for beginners. While I was there there were 3 visitors from Moscow learning to kite. Instruction is great as all three are riding on the board now! Romashki is equipmented with airush gear for rent if you need all or additional equipment.

The resort isn't very big with 4 rooms, so the atmosphere is tighly knit and you get to know everyone pretty well. Vibes are great with music and often friends of Romashki coming by in evenings for drinks. You can buy drinks onsite no problem.

I was there during full moon which includes full moon beach party! Lots of fun, great crowd and awesome music partying on beach!

KITING

The lagoon is an awesome place to kite, I was there for 8 days and kited every single day! The lagoon is separated from the ocean by a narrow spit of land so you can kite flat or ocean surf depending on your preference. Typically most kite sizes on the beach were 7-10m almost all week. So windy! Some people on the other thread complained about gusty conditions but i have never been anywhere that was 10m weather or under which didn't have gusty conditions at times.(Soma bay was super gusty the previous week). You get to know the lagoon and different areas have different wind conditions. I found many perfect areas for boosting! And many unoccupied areas to explore!

The kite community at the lagoon is awesome. Everyone is there to enjoy themselves and live the kiting life. No issues, no kooks, just super chill atmosphere. The locals riders (Sri lanken and local expats) have some amazing kite skills and i would take breaks just to watch them ride.

Overall, I think Sri Lanka was one of the best kiting trips I have ever taken. The people were great, the conditions were awesome and I will be going back in the future.

Here are some photos!

20150822_184404.jpg
View from Romashki over the lagoon

View from Romashki over the lagoon

20150827_201841.jpg
Romashki Dinner

Romashki Dinner

boat 1-02.jpeg
Boat to kite launch

Boat to Kite Beach

Screenshot_2015-08-23-14-17-17-01.jpeg
kite beach

Kite launch

IMG_0727-01.jpeg
Me boosting the spit

Boosting the Spit

kids4-01.jpeg
local school kids coming to check out kiteboarding!

Local school kids

20150828_222715.jpg
Romashki party!

Romashki party

20150829_010734.jpg
Full Moon Party!

Full moon party

IMG-20150831-WA0007-01.jpeg
Beach party!

Beach party

Screenshot_2015-08-29-17-35-06-01.jpeg
Exploring the lagoon

Exploring the lagoon!

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: ontario
Style: freeride oldschool
Gear: flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Review: Sri Lanka - Romashki Kite House

Postby fogmeister » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:34 pm

thanks for the pics.....looks like an awesome trip!.......now its time to get back to your homeland and start :cheers: wooing it up with your local mates!

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Boracay, Philippines/ Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya, Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada

Postby shawn13 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:37 pm

fogmeister wrote:thanks for the pics.....looks like an awesome trip!.......now its time to get back to your homeland and start :cheers: wooing it up with your local mates!

In time! I am back in Zambia for another 8 weeks, then maybe home, or maybe more kiting. I honesty have no idea when Ill be back in Canada to break the Woo record :thumb:

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: freeride oldschool
Gear: flysurfer

Postby fogmeister » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:35 pm

haha....yeah you might as well just stay for winter and come back in spring. :thumb:

flyingfishza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Global mostly caribbean and south africa
Favorite Beaches: too many
Style: all
Gear: Going back to naish it seems

Postby flyingfishza » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:49 am

Looks nice, why take the boat and not just kite to the spots if its close?

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:33 am

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron

Postby shawn13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:34 am

flyingfishza wrote:Looks nice, why take the boat and not just kite to the spots if its close?

The resorts are on one side of the lagoon and the kite launch is on the spit between the lagoon and the ocean.

Stefan1
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freestyle
Gear: AIrush Varial X

Postby Stefan1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Aloha, Shawn13
We were more than happy to enjoy kiteboarding with you.
Thank you so much for the great review (one of our first) :allbegood:

For all you Gang, you are more than welcome to rock and roll with us!
Long downwinders, unspoiled beaches, 100s of donkeys and of course us will be waiting for you!
:D

kitesurftaranto
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Puglia - ITaly
Gear: slingshot rpm 2013 10
slingshot rally 2014 10 e 7
slingshot misfit 2014 136x40.5
slingshot asylum 2013 138x42 with biding
slingshot t-rex 5'4
Brand Affiliation: slingshot - mystic