Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Asia kitesurfing spots?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Asia kitesurfing spots?

Postby TheKiteLife » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:45 am

Mui Ne Beach, Vietnam
Boracay Island, Phillipines
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Koh Samui, Thailand
Pattaya, Thailand
Hainan Island, China

Can anyone add info on these spots and/or list some others?

I would like to spend some time traveling/kiting in the region but am having a hard time deciding...looking for less of a party and more for true culture and of course good wind.

Thanks

paulglasius
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Asia kitesurfing spots?

Postby paulglasius » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:00 pm

mui ne: decent wind, good infrastructure
phan tiet = mui ne

thailand: normally low wind, big kite

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:36 am

When will you be traveling? At most locations in Asia, kiting is seasonal, so your travel itinerary will have to depend on what time of the year that you go.

Mui Ne is one of the few places where you have good chances of being able to kite no matter what month you visit, since it is exposed to both the northeast and the southwest monsoon winds in combination with having large sand dunes that create a sea breeze effect on all sunny days. Besides, Vietnam is a beautiful and interesting country to visit, so Mui Ne should definitely be on your list regardless of when you come!

Taiwan is another place where you have good chances of wind year-round if you are willing to seek out the right beach (but there are no guarantees). Mui Ne and Taiwan are also some of the few places in Asia where you regularly will get strong winds (7-9 meter bowkite territory, although you will generally be all right with a 12 meter kite for at least a few hours on even the windiest day).

Other locations in Asia are more seasonal, and the wind is generally not as strong. You are unlikely to end up using a kite smaller than 12 meter bowkite (or equivalent) at most other places in Asia.

Thailand is a very nice place to visit, but I would not recommend Koh Samui or Pattaya as kite-specific destinations. Sure, you can kite there in the right season, but there are better and more reliable destinations in Thailand for kiting. Specifically, Chumphon and Hua Hin have very nice, wide beaches with fairly consistent winds from November / December through April and would be my top two choices in Thailand if I went primarily for kiting. Phuket is similar to Koh Samui and Pattaya - it will work at times, but is not really ideal. And by the way, since you say that you are looking for culture and not partying, Pattaya is definitely not for you.

Boracay is supposed to be quite nice but I have not been there myself. In terms of other places, it all depends on the season. For example, Bali can be great in June - August, but don't go there in October. And so on. Let me know when you will go and I will try to give you some specific recommendations.

A second, big kite will definitely save some days on all of these locations. If you travel with only a 12 meter bowkite, there will be days when you will not be able to go out, even "in season".

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:01 pm

previously listed
+
Thailand Koh Phan Ngan, Hua Hin, CHumpon, Koh Lipe
Indonesia Bali Sanur for easterlies and Changgu for both south easterlies and westerlies
Indonesia Sumbawa for waves
www.splocs.com should cover them all
Cheers
Alex

trod27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Utah
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Los Barilles, Deer Creek
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot, Moses

Postby trod27 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:56 pm

So Ithought I would use this exsiting post. Thanks to all in adavnce.
My company is sending me to Macau, China. I fly in and out of Hong Kong. They will let me take time off after work is complete. My first trip is July 20 -August 2.
I might go three times, but nothing is guaranteed except the first trip. I might get to go back the end of September or next spring.
Big question where to go within reason. I am a advanced rider. I like swell, mushy waves and warm water. I looked at Mui Ne Bay Vietnam (first choice) , but windy season look like November- April. Travel takes from 3 to 8 hours depending on stops ($750-$450) to Ho Chi Man city and a 3 hour drive from there to Mui Ne. I hear once you get there it is cheap. And I am 3/4's of the way there
Where else? Philippines, Borcay Island? Hainian Island, if so where?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:06 pm

check here: www.splocs.com

Taiwan gets good winds...and all over Philippines !!!

trod27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Utah
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Los Barilles, Deer Creek
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot, Moses

Postby trod27 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks I was already looking at the convenience of Taipei. There are several beaches very close (Jinsan (Chinshan), Sajuwan). I am thinking I could stop on my the way to LA and my company would pay for all airfare. Stay for 4-7 days and head back to the states.
Next question is where to stay? do I need car? Is there a kite accommodations with other kiters? What size kites in August? can I rent directional?
Thanks in advance again.

Dennis_n
Rare Poster

Postby Dennis_n » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm also about to take out a vacation, and I also need an advice on Asian Spots for August.
from this thread, I gather that

Bali is ok,
Mui Ne is ok
Baracy - maybe - however it is low season there
Taiwan - maybe

kygen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Haaga Park (Sweden)
Favorite Beaches: Haaga Park (Sweden)
Style: Freestryle
Gear: Kite: Slingshot Rev 11
Board: SU2

Postby kygen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Where is the best Flatwater spots in Asia where u can stay with your wife and kid at the spot?
With a hotell max 500m from the spot with a pool where they can play. :thumb:

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby average rider » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 am

Taiwan is good for kiting? I must go take a look......
Any spot recommendations? Best time of year? Any good waves?
So many questions - thanks in advance for any help.

Return to “Travel”