whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.
Has thanked: 0

Re: Costa Rica - Kitehouse or Blue Dream?

Postby whabbits » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:17 pm

I stayed at Blue Dream for two weeks last winter and would stay there again. That being said each of the three kite-centric places to stay have their merrits.

Personally, when I go again....if I go back with a group of friends I would stay with Bob (kitchenettes \ fridges) whereas by myself or just with my girlfriend I'd stay at BlueDream. My friends were at KiteHouse and really liked it there.

Where ever you stay you will likely really enjoy Bahia Salinas area. My recommendation would be to eat at all restaurants and meet as many people. Those who were having the best time in Bahia Salinas were taking it all in.

I was recently in Hood River (event site and White Salmon) and would say that the wind at Bahia Salinas was better quality.

With more and more direct flights to Liberia, Costa Rica, it really is worth a trip to experience this place.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:40 pm

I think whabbits and average kiter have summed it up pretty well. I learned to kite at Bahia Salinas (with Nicola) in 2000 and haveenjoyed the hospitality of the Blue Dream before it even was called Blue Dream. CR in general is a special place in many ways and worth a visit. When I learned in 2000 we were flying some pretty crude LEI's and even foils with hardly any depower or safety...and we learned and enjoyed even with those limitations...so now with the new gear the gustiness is very tolerable.

I've been to a lot of cool kiting spots in other corners of the world but I am still glad that I had these first experiences in Costa Rica - I can pretty much guarantee you'll have a great time and have PLENTY of wind. And beside that - visiting different spots around the world is (IMO) what makes kiting such a great sport, and the different conditions, cultures, atmosphere, travel adventure is all part of the pleasure.

Costa Rica - Pura Vida!!

awo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela, ubatuba
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara, prea, barra grande piaui
Style: Begginer freestyle
Gear: core, naish, rrd and flysurferu

Postby awo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:41 am

Hi, I just left bahia salinas. I stayed at bluedream, very nice people, no frills but nice hotel, food not the best at the restaurant but eatable.Then I went to the new resort Dreams, about 8km from playa copal.Very fancy and expensive, but all the facilities in there.about the kiting, windy all the time, chop, clear and cold water some days , dark and warmer other days, a short wet suit recommended if you are accustomed to warm places.The beach has pebbles all around, so wear some kind of shoes to kite.few people there, ranging from 5 to 15 kites in the whole beach.Wind always present, from 20 to 40'some knots, gusty, some of the days going from 20 to 35 in few seconds, other days from 20 to 25, nice.Many turtles, few marine serpents( locals say they hardly bite), many fishes and birds, didnt see any crocs.Good place if you want lots of wind, wild nature and no night life. Also tried 2 days in arenal , hated it, cold, gusty, dangerous place to start from, uncaring people at Tico winds, with the exception of John.Only my personal experience, hope it may help someone

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:48 pm

I am fortunate enough to take 2 or 3 Kite trips a year. I usually travel in North/Central America and the Caribbean. I have been to Bahia Salinas twice (BlueDream Resort) and it is on my return list.
I enjoy staying at BlueDream, rooms are clean, internet, and you meet kiters from all over the world.
BlueDream has the best spot to launch in the bay especially with changing tides. It is gusty there but you get strong wind everyday! Nicola can show you were to find big swell but I wouldn't classify it as a wave spot. Take a walk from Bluedream down to the kite spot and you feel like you are doing a commercial for Lonely Planet. Treat yourself to lunch at Plaza Copal behind the kite spot and have one of Ulf's $9.00 specials. Non kiter activities close by there is a new Zip Line camp and the Dreams All Inclusive Luxury Hotel (get a $75.00 day pass).

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Im good friends with Bob at Cometa Copal (www.KitesurfingInCostaRica.com) they definitely have the safest and most comprehensive lessons.

Im headed down in 3 weeks and staying at the new Dream Hotel thats about 7miles away..cant wait!

Flkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Juno kite beach
Style: Wake style , but air
Gear: North rebel
Axis limited

Postby Flkiter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:18 pm

As someone who has spent a month at blue dream I have to say that Nicola's assessment of the place is spot on. I usually travel a couple weeks a year to kite and I've spent many weeks in Cabarete, Aruba, the Bahamas, OBX and of course all throughout Florida. All are great places, but I've been skunked in each one at some point with the exception of Bahia Salinas Costa Rica. When you go there in the winter season, you will get wind and often lots of it, so bring a small kite. The Woo leaderboard for that spot has our buddy Sharkey on top at 63'. I'll be going back there in a few weeks to hopefully change that... :naughty:
When in doubt about how good a place is, check the woo leaderboard. You don't get 60+ in a place that isn't great

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:36 pm

I have to say I was actually a little disappointed with Salinas on my motorcycle trip south. I thought the wind was gusty and the water was surprisingly cold. I enjoyed Ometepe Nicaragua much more. It's the same winds but not as extreme, warm fresh water, and a much much better night life. Also overall the cost was much cheaper and you're on an island between two volcanoes. Can't get much better than that. If you are in the area, I recommend a day trip, maybe 2-3 hour commute including the border check.

=Jason-

geir
Medium Poster

Re: Costa Rica - Kitehouse or Blue Dream

Postby geir » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 pm

+1 for Blue Dream/Nicola and his crew. Had a great time two years ago in January. Very friendly and good vibe. Good food at Blue Dream and Ulfs outdoor Grill Restaurant was really good.

The wind is hard core, brought my 6,7 and 10. Would have even wanted my 5m Storm kite. It was a bit like our low pressure high winds we get in the fall over here in Iceland only in shorts! You sometimes feel the sand beating on your calfs, it can get that windy. We’ve traveled a bit (OBX 3 times, Tobago) and it’s the place so far with the least probability of getting skunked with no wind (maybe even none).

Gusty, yes but after a while I got used to it and started pulling the trigger in the gusts. Then it was allll good...
(Wind travels over mountains, then onto sea, so what else can you really expect).

Geir

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:58 am

Jason, where does one kite and stay on Onetepe?

Return to “Travel”