Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: First time to Hatteras planned for late March

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm

If you stay up in Kittyhawk first day you can ride at Jockey's ridge park. Take last right soundside road as you leave kitty hawk kites.

Stan

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:05 am

I go to hatteras three times a year and often kite alone. Downwinders are my passion, especially ocean side. I long since learned self launching for this, so if you are not comfortable with that, Hatteras on a mild day is great to learn with some wide open and empty beaches. My self landing is not so good, so if it is very windy I always find someone, seldom a kiter, to help. The real problem is getting back to your car. I've always eventually got back by hitching but it sometimes takes a while. So now when it is blowing from the south I mostly ride the ferry to ocracoke island and then kite back, either on the sound or ocean. It is a blast, and then ride the ferry back to your car. Once I rode all the way around the cape itself to Buxton, then hitched back to the ferry. enjoy!

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:12 am

This winter has been ridiculously cold as you probably know. So what is normal is not normal. Usually by late march we are in to light full suits or sometimes even spring suits. Doubt that is going to happen.

JoeLemm
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga Beach
Sandbanks
Oliphant
Kingston
Style: Newb Freerider
Gear: Kites:
12M Cabrinha Vector
9M Wainman Smoke
8M Naish Helix
Boards:
Slingshot Darko
Airush Cypher 5'6"
Been thanked: 0

Postby JoeLemm » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:33 pm

The road trip begins on Friday!

Cant wait. Forecast is looking good.

Picked up a 5/4/3 wetsuit as my hooded 6/5 may be a little much... at least I have options now.

Im leaving Barrie, hopefully by 2 pm on Friday and plan to be to Kitty Hawk for a session by Saturday afternoon. From there I'll be working my way south since I want to do a few downwinders with the ferry.

If anyone has suggestions for good locations (more precise than Real's map), I would appreciate it. Never been down there before, and since I'm going alone I am trying to gather all the info I can. Forecasted winds are primarily going to be out of the North by the looks of it.

Found a wicked deal on a 2010 Best Nemesis 10m... going to pick it up just incase... Anyone ridden one of these? Reviews seemed pretty solid back in 2010.

As for self launching in all of the various locations, is there normally something to tether to, or should I look at getting an anchor? Dont have time to order one, and dont want to use a cheap screw in pet anchor, so hopefully I can find one once I'm down there.

Cheers,

Joe

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:21 am

Joe, this is probably too late, but if not:

Best kites lost their way briefly in 2010/2011, which is probably why that Nemesis looks like a good deal to you. hope it flies okay for you.

Tomorrow is strong NE, so I recommend riding from Avon to Buxton on the ocean, and hitching back.

You should get some strong southerlies later in the week for downwinders across the Hatteras inlet, but I hope it does not rain too much. be careful of squalls with rain.

You should be able to self-launch without an anchor fairly easily. The hard part is self-landing in strong winds, and few people around on the beach to help. Older kites like that nemesis are potential trouble for self-landing too.

Stay safe, enjoy yourself, and let us know how it goes.

Return to “Travel”