Safety bay

JP
Gear: Sling shot RPM, Blade Fat lady
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite trip September - January

Postby Badanka » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:07 am

Me and my girl will be on distance studies for one semester.
We think about spending the 5 months abroad and hopefully have a lot of kiteboarding. We do have a map. Now also with a lot of dots and circles on it. Most of them according to the post "windy hollyday by month" :roll:
We think about staying at 1-2 months on each destination and want to find some affordable living. Preferably with cooking opportunitys.

We think of Mexico, Brazil, Dominican Republic and the Philippines.

Anyone with the same plan or some input about a trip like this? Is it easy to find living for example in Cumbuco or Baja?

Maybe you did something similar last year?

All comments are welcome!
//Andy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kite trip September - January

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 am

Great time for Brazil!

Not so much for DR though.

Check soon for available places in Cumbuco, due to close by industry developments apartments are getting rare at lower prices.
But new places are being build...so might be ok.

I suggest Brazil Sept to Nov, then maybe Philippines.

vinam
Rare Poster
Gear: Liquid force

Postby vinam » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:06 pm

I had similar doubts and destinations where to go kite for couple of months last year. Finally we started in December with Mexico, then later we went to Hawaii and Philipines in February and March. I agree with Toby for first part, go September and October to Cumbuco, Brasil. It's gonna be windy for sure and it's not expensive.
November and December you can go Cabarete DR, I believe it's always few windy days weekly there and you are close to Brasil and Mexico.
Mexico-Riviera Maya you should go in beginning of January or end of December, then wind comes. We had only several windy days in first 4 weeks in December in Tulum. I would choose Tulum, you can have affordable living if you rent apartment in town. It's great lifestyle and a lot of activites besides kitesurfing, also it's not island so when there is no wind in Tulum you can go kite to Cancun-Isla Blanca, 1.5 hours north with car.

In Philippines you have 2 islands for kite surfing-Boracay and Palawan. There are also some other good kite spots in Philippines, but in the middle of nowhere. Boracay is good, but very crowded with kites and not cheap. Palawan is very cheap but wind in Puerto Princessa is too light, on the northern part of island is stronger, but it's not easily accessible. If you start from Brasil I suggest to skip Philipines then, too far for what you get.

I could help more if you tell us what kind of lifestyle do you want besides kite surfing.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:01 pm

from what I hear I cannot support Cabarete as being good in Nov and Dec...from January on will be better.

Still, Nov and Dec Brazil...not sure where to go else in that time.

Columbia is food Jan to March as well.

vinam
Rare Poster
Gear: Liquid force

Postby vinam » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:18 am

Yes Toby, you are right, Nov and Dec are not the great months for Cabarete compared to others. Brasil is definitely better choice. What I meant to say is that in Cabarete even when it's not best windy season you'll have probably 2 windy days weekly on average, maybe even more. And Cabarete is real kiters destination, so if he wants to try few places which are all relatively close it is good choice.

Return to “Travel”