Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Somewhere to go in January/february for a swede

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Barbs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island (UK),
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Langebaan, Kitebeach (Cape Town),Pointe D'Esny (Mauritius)
Style: Foil/twintip
Gear: Cabrinha switchblades/drifters. Slingshot Hoverglide + Dwarfcraft
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Somewhere to go in January/february for a swede

Postby Barbs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:02 am

There are plenty of complete beginners in cape town body dragging up and down. They provide adequate comfort for me.

Langebaan is shark free (sharks we care about) in shark bay and it is one of the world's most beautiful kite spots.

I'm able to get cheap flights anywhere from the uk and keep going back to cpt.
Windchasers in langebaanis ideal and depending on age saltycrax in blouberg or a long term deal at liquid forces place would work well.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:26 am

Another vote for langebaan / cape town. Stay at windchaser in langebaan is is a good option. Lots of nice places to sit and enjoy a beer and watch the sunset after a awesome day on the water. Very user friendly place, many good places to eat etc.
Head down to cape town if you want some waves or some city life, maybe do the odd trip to the wine farms on the no wind days. Though not too many of those in Jan and Feb.
As a bonus, rub shoulders with the pros, and watch the most spectacular event in world kiteboarding, the red bull king of the air that takes place at that time.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:43 am

I've kited at the main beaches in Cape Town on the Table Bay side for 4-8 weeks each summer for the past five years and never seen a shark. Kiters sometimes come in swearing they saw a shark, but on the two occasions I've managed to find something it was a sunfish, which swim slowly near the surface with their triangular black dorsal fin lollying around. They are fun to sit down next to. And as far as I know there has never been a shark attack on a kite surfer in Table Bay, and countless body-dragging beginners have been taught right at Kite Beach by the Best school there. Plus countless kiters have body-dragged for their boards in the waves. Heck, I routinely lose my strapless directional and drag in to recover it from the beach. I'll be there this year for December and the first half of January, but sadly will miss the King of the Air this year. It was amazing, if way too scary, last year.

andeereyy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Särdal
Gear: RRD vision,cabrinha switchblade

Postby andeereyy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:17 am

You have successfully convinced me. Now time to plan the trip. Opting for renting a flat in blouberg area and somehow doing day trips to hermanus/langebaan until i get comfortable with the idea of kiting with shark. I am worried one would get bored living in langebaan, I also do not want to miss the king of the air event.
Guessing renting a car is the way to go in cape town and I am now trying to calculate a budget.
Any tips on doing this with a budget appreciated.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:31 pm

rent a car between 9 11 euro (ww polo)
better share with friends a flat ...any price from 10 to 100
restaurant from 10 to 15
gas 1 euro lt
keep invoice of everything you buy and export ,you will get back vat(16%) at the airport
king of air ....a must
platboom ....a must ....cape good hope
haakgat .....a must
shark cage ...a must
carne sa ....a must (restaurant)
visit table wiew ..a must
emirates or quatar ..good company ...good service...100 euro change date once you are there
trip to vinery .....forget
langeban ....nothing other than flat clean water
hermanus ....can visit once
last year I spent 1800 euro 25 days ....everything....house ,car ,gas food,filght from rome
ciao

noraintalukss
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I own a Bed and Breakfast called Casa Nora, on the famous El Yaque Beach, Margarita Island.
Gear: Core and Carved
Brand Affiliation: Core

Postby noraintalukss » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi. Playa El Yaque, on Margarita Island is a great, windy, sunny, warm kiting beach on the shores of the Caribbean. I own a B & B there, and would be happy to offer you inexpensive accommodations. There are relatively inexpensive direct flights with Iberia from Madrid to Caracas. Once in Caracas, I can help to arrange inexpensive flights to the island. The cost of living in El Yaque is very reasonable. Let me know if this is interesting for you. I am happy to help! Nora

Pumma
Medium Poster
Local Beach: KiteBeach Maui , MuiNe Vietnam , Paje Zanzibar , Hua Hin Thailand , 'Secret Spot' Greece
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach Maui
Gear: North Vegas , Flexifoil Hadlow Wake , Ronix Parks , RipCurl

Postby Pumma » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:30 pm

as soon as its my time of year that i am travelling
i will recommend Zanzibar 13 & 11 metre kite and you can ride all day WITHOUT wetsuit (Cape Town needs wetsuit)
Also Vietnam is nice but crowdy - you can visit Phan Rhang which is awesome kite spot
Sri Lanka sounds also good with 4-6 days of wind 11-20knots

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:43 pm

andeereyy wrote:You have successfully convinced me. Now time to plan the trip. Opting for renting a flat in blouberg area and somehow doing day trips to hermanus/langebaan until i get comfortable with the idea of kiting with shark. I am worried one would get bored living in langebaan, I also do not want to miss the king of the air event.
Guessing renting a car is the way to go in cape town and I am now trying to calculate a budget.

a flat in Blouberg would run about 6-700 euro per month. Check on gumtree.com.za. Working with people in S. Africa via internet is hard, most of them do not believe there is a human being on the other end. They have been slow to adopt the internet in South Africa.

A car would be like 200 euros per month, reserve it asap as there are few car rental agencies.
Here is a guide from Progression on visiting Cape Town as a kitesurfer. Langebaan is much simply, simply drive straight north on the main highway out of town and it takes you straight there. Beautiful lagoon for controlled moderate wind kiting.

https://www.progression.me/blog/tips-fo ... cape-town/

For vineyards, forget Stellenbosch and go to Franschoek. Beautiful area with great wine and cool town. Totally worth it. The wine is incredibly cheap - 3-4 euros for a full BOTTLE of a quality that would cost 35 euros in Europe.

andeereyy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Särdal
Gear: RRD vision,cabrinha switchblade

Postby andeereyy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:59 pm

dracop wrote:
andeereyy wrote:You have successfully convinced me. Now time to plan the trip. Opting for renting a flat in blouberg area and somehow doing day trips to hermanus/langebaan until i get comfortable with the idea of kiting with shark. I am worried one would get bored living in langebaan, I also do not want to miss the king of the air event.

a flat in Blouberg would run about 6-700 euro per month. Check on gumtree.com.za. Working with people in S. Africa via internet is hard, most of them do not believe there is a human being on the other end. They have been slow to adopt the internet in South Africa.

A car would be like 200 euros per month, reserve it asap as there are few car rental agencies.
Here is a guide from Progression on visiting Cape Town as a kitesurfer. Langebaan is much simply, simply drive straight north on the main highway out of town and it takes you straight there. Beautiful lagoon for controlled moderate wind kiting.

https://www.progression.me/blog/tips-fo ... cape-town/

For vineyards, forget Stellenbosch and go to Franschoek. Beautiful area with great wine and cool town. Totally worth it. The wine is incredibly cheap - 3-4 euros for a full BOTTLE of a quality that would cost 35 euros in Europe.
Any tips regarding what company to rent a car from? Also, if anyone has experience of a trustworthy nice guy/girl to rent a flat from, tips would be appreciated!

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Return to “Travel”