Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Cuba, Sicily, Lefkada, Neusiedle
Style: Old school, freeride
Gear: North - dice, rebel
Brand Affiliation: Northkiteboarding
Been thanked: 0

Barbados or Puerto Rico ?

Postby Theboy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Hello kiters

I will go in february with my girlfriend ( she will start lessons) kitesurfing, but still not sure where are better conditions, flat water, hot weather.
I decide over Barbados or Puerto Rico.
Barbados : hotel silver point, spot silver rock - boutique hotel on the spot
Puerto Rico : hotel Gran Melia near spot Las Picuas - 10 minutes, 45 minutes from San Juan

What are your recommendations, experiences, ideas ?

Thanx a lot friends 8)
Jozef

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Barbados or Puerto Rico ?

Postby salvino » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 am

Barbados is intermediate to advanced. Not ideal for beginner lessons. No flat water.

I have not been to Puerto Rico

Turks and Caicos is awesome for all levels and is flat water. Long Beach is the spot to kite. There are some condos there but most stay on Grace Bay and drive to spot. It's a short 10 min drive.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:32 am

I love Barbados for waves but agree that it is not a good spot to learn. There is shore break that beginners will find intimidating. If you can't stay up wind it can be really bad.

I've been to Puerto Rico once but was skunked. I have read about a nice mix of flat water and waves.

I'm not sure if you're flexible to other islands but the Caymans are beginner friendly (light chop in a bay). Bonaire is super steady and flat water and the instructors follow students downwind in a boat.

Theboy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slovakia, Austria

Postby Theboy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:43 am

salvino wrote:Barbados is intermediate to advanced. Not ideal for beginner lessons. No flat water.

I have not been to Puerto Rico

Turks and Caicos is awesome for all levels and is flat water. Long Beach is the spot to kite. There are some condos there but most stay on Grace Bay and drive to spot. It's a short 10 min drive.
Hi Salvino

Thanx for your advice. Turks and Caicos is my dream spot, but I can not find some good accomodation in good price. Its crazy expensive.
Where did U stay ? In which hotel ? How much was rent a car ?
have good day.
Joe

Theboy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slovakia, Austria

Postby Theboy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 am

Eduardo wrote:I love Barbados for waves but agree that it is not a good spot to learn. There is shore break that beginners will find intimidating. If you can't stay up wind it can be really bad.

I've been to Puerto Rico once but was skunked. I have read about a nice mix of flat water and waves.

I'm not sure if you're flexible to other islands but the Caymans are beginner friendly (light chop in a bay). Bonaire is super steady and flat water and the instructors follow students downwind in a boat.
Eduardo thanx

I am going to look on Bonair hotels, spots and on the forum some info.
Some good accomodation U know ?
Caymans was very expensive :-(

Thanx
Joe

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

PR is good for beginners... 15 knots Kite school on Isla verde beach in San Juan is perfect. There are also tons of other spots that are never crowded. I would stay at Isla verde then rent a car if you want to check out flat water in Rio grande or Guayama.

tomsinamerica
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras
Style: clumsy
Gear: North: Dice & Evo and have a 17m core GTS
Has thanked: 0

Postby tomsinamerica » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Sorry if this is late....

I've not been to PR but Barbados is not for beginners. Shore break is pretty brutal, out past that, current runs downwind (assuming you're at the main spot on the south side) meaning you run out of beach pretty quickly - next beach down is appropriately named rescue beach. Once you make it out - waves at the reef can get pretty intense, when i was out there, most days were head high - i ride goofy and it was a fast learning curve to learn a) jumping LF forward or b) jumping toe side. My first couple of days learning a & b were pretty humbling. Even inside the reef, water was pretty bouncy, nearly everyone was on a directional. I wish i'd taken bigger kites - mind you, i'm 235lbs, some days my 14 wasn't enough, i wished i had taken my 17 for help punching past the reef.

Barbados itself is nice - wife was thinking about learning but after seeing the shorebreak decided she'd wait until summer in the OBX. Nice thing about our hotel was that she still had a good time, plenty for her to do. (I think she had a couple rum punches at lunch and slept the rest of the day)

mangevbg
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby mangevbg » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi there!

Do you have any suggestions about Barbados on where to stay if the primary is to find a good place for the kids to be able to swim = no big waves. If I find that beach and a beach were I can kitesurf within reach it would be great.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:56 pm

In Barbados you can find hotels close to Silver Rock. If your main plan is a family vacation then you could store your gear at Talma'a Kite Surf Shop at Silver Rock beach and take the local private bus (Z vans 1.00 USD) from any of the hotels west of Silver Rock to Ostins and they will drop you off within a 5 minute walk to Silver Sands beach. Most to the hotels are on the West side (least windy).
If you really want to explore the island then you need to rent a car/mini moke. If the plan is to not venture to far from the hotel then the Z vans, Local buses or taxi will work out to be less expensive.
Make sure you take the family to Ostins Friday Night Fish Fry. Get there early for best seating. Uncle George's is my favourite.

Return to “Travel”